Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
The Ranger for Rockville Park in the city of Fairfield is requesting info on what she can do to make the park more enjoyable for your type of riding. It is rare that any division of government asks for input to make things better for you, so this is pretty amazing. The rangers name is Teri Luchini and she is a biker as well, so she is on our side. Personally I'm not a DH'er, so the ball is now in your court. Her number is: 707-428-7614. Her email address is: [email protected]

Cheers,
Chip

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Spread the word...

I X-posted this to MSDHW, Ridemonkey (Norcal Forum), and that's about it... Just trying to spread the word.

If anyone has anywhere they think would be good to post about it do so, this would be so cool if it happened and I think we are in need of someplace like this.

-Matt

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I just talked with her...

Seems like something may actually be done. She said that it's obvious there is a group of DH or FR people who need something to ride as the trails they have available aren't design for such use.

She said she isn't sure of all the guidelines or regulations, but that they have a $30,000 grant and she would/could use part of that towards this project.

Basically it is in the idea stage, she is looking for people to get in touch (she needs a lot of people behind her) but she wants people to call in, leave their name and number, etc and hopefully we can get together a forum and talk it over. Share ideas and solutions.

Anyway, my suggestion is to call her even if you are far away, just get your name out there so we can have this meeting. Sounds like something could happen if we can round up enough support.
Spread the word. W3RD.

-Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
You mean Rockville park?

We're going to pay the $30000, $2 or $15 at a time. 8^(
I've heard they are working on charging for parking. I'm not sure how that is going to work, but it's all supposed to go to park maintenance. The $30,000 is supposed to be a grant that they already have.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
It wasn't I who made the typo was it? Anyway, didn't notice it if it was in the original poster's thread...

If you guys haven't already, call her. (she may not be at work anymore, not sure)
But call, the most important thing right now is getting people interested.

·
Third Degree Hater-Fu
563 Posts
You better get IMBA involved. The last thing you want is a trail that will wash away after a couple hard rains and make everyone hate you and make you a national example of "Why downhill trails shouldn't exist"

Woody Keen of Trail Dynamics (former IMBA trail crew) built a DH specific trail at a ski resort out west using his methods and if he builds it...it WILL last...plus he's a big fan of rock armoring.
Here are some samples on his site to see what I mean:

http://www.traildynamics.com/solutions.asp
Click on the other links for more examples of his work. If you build it right, it will last and you will gain respect, ground with politicians...and help the rest of us use your trail as an example of how downhill works! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems like alot of good info is being discussed here, but it may not make it to the ranger. I would recommend anyone who has any input or ideas about what to do in reference to this request for info send it directly to the ranger via email or call her. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do this for you. Or someone could volunteer to be the pointman for this whole effort. Hope it works out...
Chip

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Imba??

Is IMBA the only organization that knows how to build trails?? I think not! I agree that a lot of planning and thought need to be put into this but, I think that is our job as mtn bikers...don't consider myself a dh'r or freerider but I love to go downhill!

Besides...IMBA is to busy worrying about alaska, getting democrats elected, supporting anti mtn biking wilderness bills to help with this.

screw IMBA!

Have a great weekend!

·
Third Degree Hater-Fu
563 Posts
bigboulder said:
Is IMBA the only organization that knows how to build trails?? I think not! I agree that a lot of planning and thought need to be put into this but, I think that is our job as mtn bikers...don't consider myself a dh'r or freerider but I love to go downhill!

Besides...IMBA is to busy worrying about alaska, getting democrats elected, supporting anti mtn biking wilderness bills to help with this.

screw IMBA!

Have a great weekend!
you're an idiot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
bizutch said:
you're an idiot. :rolleyes:
ditto.

Thank's bizutch for the ideas. I've been an IMBA member for a while now, and done Chris King trail days volonteering, etc. I've also done a lot of construction grading and erosion controll.

Not claiming to be an expert, but I'm no hack, and put thought into everything I build.

Getting an organization, such as IMBA involved is always a good idea. They may be busy, but having them involved can help get more volonteers and legitimize a project.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
Rockville is already very well developed. There are trails everywhere...
While there are a few sections/trails I would like to build. A little re-routing, hedge trimming and light tranny building would go a looooonnng way.
There are some very cool unauthorized/illegal trails that spring up occasionally. These ones nearly always get shut down due to the erosion problems they cause. It would be nice to build these properly and protect the park/cyclists.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
bigboulder said:

screw IMBA!

Have a great weekend!
It's also a potential validation by having an internationally recognized advocacy and construction organization be involved. It's not a necessity but it's something to consider.

I think some of the things imba gets behind are irrelevant to their cause as well but their core is advocacy and responsible, sustainable trail creation/maintenence.

So whine somewhere else. Your political soapbox doesn't have a place in an activity in which you have nothing to do with.

·
Absurd
919 Posts
kidwoo said:
It's also a potential validation by having an internationally recognized advocacy and construction organization be involved. It's not a necessity but it's something to consider.

I think some of the things imba gets behind are irrelevant to their cause as well but their core is advocacy and responsible, sustainable trail creation/maintenence.

So whine somewhere else. Your political soapbox doesn't have a place in an activity in which you have nothing to do with.
Well said. I may or may not agree with everything the IMBA supports, politically or on the trail, but we definitly need to get someone who is really recognized in on this one. It can only help. If I've got some political gripes, I think it can wait until next November...in the voting booth.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
bigboulder said:

screw IMBA!

Have a great weekend!
Why don't you propose some other organization then? And let's try to keep the politics out of this board as it never yield anything good. IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bigboulder said:
Besides...IMBA is to busy worrying about alaska, getting democrats elected, supporting anti mtn biking wilderness bills ...
I think you may be confused. IMBA stands for International Mountain Biking Association, notice the use of the works "Mountain Biking". They do support wilderness bills, but are probably THE biggest pro-trail-access voice that us cyclists have.

I'm an IMBA member and proud of it.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
bigboulder said:
Except...good fun for me!
Well, if all of us start to express our political beliefs on this board, the fun would be lost really quickly.

Now, who would you propose to help Rockville build new trails?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.