Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I ran down to Pueblo for the "warm" weekend (teens at night) along with "Vanagon Don". We were all anxious to get some riding in but I was also looking forward to testing out the new vHoldr ContourHD helmet cam and new Niner RIP frame.

RIP did incredible in the chunk and I'm slowly learning the tricks of the camera's various mounting options and settings. (Missed the HD switch unfortunately.)

Here's a short clip of the first day of shooting, first day dropping the rock/bridge, and my first attempt at editing.

PG-13 for profanity.


Freeride Drop-in Clip from Lactic on Vimeo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
HD is where it's at! Nice lil' edit, tho. I find that's the hardest part, and I haven't even scratched the surface. Plus it seems like vimeo and youtube have some fancy song copyright filter. So uploading w/ your own music isn't allowed, and their music leaves something to be desired. I am finding out that Youtube and vimeo have their own learning curves!

Here's my try on the Freeride trail in ptown. Enjoy the youtube music...lol

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's rave music from the late 80s!

The HD definitely makes a HUGE difference as does the GoPro chest mount. Finding the best mounting position was the biggest challenge we had that day with the ContourHD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jaydude said:
Wheres there Hooters Canyon vid????
Ask and you shall receive!

Not the quality of IE's vid but it gives me the opportunity to give a huge shout out to the guy doing trail work on Hooters this weekend! Thanks for all your hard work!

It was kind of hard to tell if we were taking the correct line at the bottom since both the left and right lines seemed a little blown out. I think I'd shoot for the right in the future.


HOOTERS! from Lactic on Vimeo.
 

·
The MTB Lab
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
New Freeride Extension

Lactic: the right line at the bottom of Hooters is a bit less chossy than the left, but it is harder to pull that direction with the abrupt speeds you get coming out of the main chute. Did you do the streambed down about a 100 yards farther? That is an excellent run! :)

I have been working on a new extension to Freeride. Last week I added the first monster drop, and today I worked it out a bit farther and got it to connect back to the main trail.

Here is a video of Freeride Part Deux on its maiden voyage! :D :thumbsup: I need to try out some of the new alternate lines up higher? :confused: Albeit a bit slower than SylentK, I plod along in comparison.


Freeride Trail with new extension - 01/19/10 from Brian Mullin on Vimeo.
 

·
Your retarded
Joined
·
3,085 Posts
Lactic said:
It was kind of hard to tell if we were taking the correct line at the bottom since both the left and right lines seemed a little blown out. I think I'd shoot for the right in the future.
Lactic, there are three lines at the bottom of the tech section on Hooters. The left line, which your crew took, is the newest line and the least sustainable of the three. It appeared a year or so ago because riders were intimidated by the two original lines (right and center) that are built on rock. I encourage riders to take either the right or center lines and let nature reclaim the left, dirt line. I say this because it's not going to hold up over time, unlike the two lines that are built on rock.
 

·
post-ride specialist
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
Last time I was there I noticed for the first time that line that goes way right, top-side around the boulders & tree. That seems the worst of them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nickle said:
Lactic, there are three lines at the bottom of the tech section on Hooters. The left line, which your crew took, is the newest line and the least sustainable of the three. It appeared a year or so ago because riders were intimidated by the two original lines (right and center) that are built on rock. I encourage riders to take either the right or center lines and let nature reclaim the left, dirt line. I say this because it's not going to hold up over time, unlike the two lines that are built on rock.
My thoughts exactly Nickle. The left line was mostly gravel and loose rocks after the last couple of busy weekends.

I've attempted the severe right line around the rocks/tree but it kind of disturbed the flow since it branched off before the rock V and was perpendicular to the fall line. I noticed (and rode) one other line to the right which was better protected but didn't notice if there was yet another armored line there as well farther right (other than around the tree).

Oh well, another reason to go back...
 

·
The MTB Lab
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Warning: I am not sure if the barbed wire is still down there (it was last time I looked), but it is down below the armored rock of the right and center lines that Nickle. I will bring my cutters next time just in case? The center line is the one I always take, it just scoots to the right of the tree stump, then twists left after that.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
SylentK said:
HD is where it's at! Nice lil' edit, tho. I find that's the hardest part, and I haven't even scratched the surface. Plus it seems like vimeo and youtube have some fancy song copyright filter. So uploading w/ your own music isn't allowed, and their music leaves something to be desired. I am finding out that Youtube and vimeo have their own learning curves!
Not sure about Vimeo but that is what i thought at first. It turns out that for some reason if you are using quicktime pro (crap) for editing you have to delete the first sound track (original recording by the camera) then upload. they will tag it with copyright warnings but your tunes will be there.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top