Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
right now i have a 2002 bullit with a 2006 marzocchi 66 eta 180mm travel on it. 8" disks front and rear, hone cranks and some wtb wheels. i want to end up with a bike that climbs better for me, as i'm just of tired of the short top tube, tall stance, and the pedal kick.
i'm considering a full suspension 29er, but i have some reservations on the general flexibility of them.

the things i love about this bike are the brakes, the super solid tracking of the fork (upgraded to the 66 from an old z1 freeride 30mm stantion and i never looked back), and my ability to get so far back on steep down hills. i rode a gf hifi 29er today, the geometry felt great, pedaling felt great, but i did not like how flexy the front end was. i wasn't able to take it off road though so its hard to say if that matters.

it had a fox f29 and i got the feeling a good bit of the flex was in the wheel itself. is that just life with a 29er and 270 lbs or did the hifi have a really light wheel build and relatively flexy fork?

going to the 66 gave me the biggest jump in confidence ever riding my current bike. i went from wondering where the bike would take me on rutted and off camber stuff to making it go where i wanted. i don't at all need the travel, but the solid tracking is worth the weight. i don't do 4'+ drops, and probably won't, but the bullit with big fork puts a smile on my face when i try bigger stuf than i have in the past. i don't think the riding i do qualifies at all as doing anything crazy, i just really appreciate a bike that doesn't feel like a noodle after riding xc bikes for a long time. can anyone give some feedback about how a stout built 29er (i'll build some sturdy wheels if that woudl help) would compare to the bullit?

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess the thing i'm trying to figure out has less to do with the frame and more to do with the fork and wheels. i have looked at lenz and they look beefy and well thought out, thank you for the pointer.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
If you noticed the front end on the GF being not so stout on a parking lot ride...it's only going to get worse when rocks, roots and cornering come into play on singltetrack. The rear ends flex a bit (only noticeable on hard g-outs or burl descents), but not as bad as some others I've been on. The White Brothers 29'r forks are top-notch. The wheels mentioned above are good. Sun Equalizers for 29'r are good. Pick your hubs and have a quality builder show them some love. If it's just an XC bike then you can get away with 15 gauge spokes. I use them on my 'cross bike wheels I've built and that thing gets ridden harder than most folks XC 29'r bikes quite frankly.

Stout frames (meaning very little to no discernible flex): Turner Sultan, Lenz, Ventana.

Brock...

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Can't tell you if a 29er is right for you . Do you intend to ride the 29er like a Bullit is ridden ? I had a Bullit w/ a 66 RC2X and it was a great FR / light Dh bike. I am 6'4" and currently on an RFX - pedals much better than the bullit and w/ a coil would match the Bullit descending minus some of the single pivot , tall BB height and too slack geometry drawbacks.

·
1,840 Posts
keen said:
Can't tell you if a 29er is right for you . Do you intend to ride the 29er like a Bullit is ridden ? I had a Bullit w/ a 66 RC2X and it was a great FR / light Dh bike. I am 6'4" and currently on an RFX - pedals much better than the bullit and w/ a coil would match the Bullit descending minus some of the single pivot , tall BB height and too slack geometry drawbacks.
...and brake jack...and mid-stroke deadzone, and...

I too went from a Bullit to RFX. Had an '06, now an '08.

Brock...

·
1,840 Posts
The RFX squats a bit under heavy breaking so no I don't mean brake squat when talking about Bullits, the single pivot Bullit, Heckler, etc have brake jack; the suspension unloads...it's a pretty unsettling feeling at high speed.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
ImaKlyde said:
The RFX squats a bit under heavy breaking so no I don't mean brake squat when talking about Bullits, the single pivot Bullit, Heckler, etc have brake jack; the suspension unloads...it's a pretty unsettling feeling at high speed.
Lawwills jack. Single pivots squat. For me the point is moot. Honestly, I will ride whatever design is under me. Within a few minutes I'm riding the bike and adapted to all of the handling traits, good bad or indifferent. After a few rides you'll be killing it and wondering what the heck everyone is talking about. Like anyone I am prone to obsessing over minutia, but I find that when I just ride and don't obsess, I have more fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the rfx has been on the radar for me. which version of the frame is preferred? the 4 bar? horstlink? i don't ride the bullit to its limits now, but i'm recovering from knee surgery and finally on the part of the curve where i really notice an improvement, so there's a good chance i'll keep enjoying bigger and bigger stuff, and i want to run some lift served trails here in utah.

the biggest thing i want to avoid is to spend loads of cash and some time switching to a 29er that is going to feel squirrely under me. i really like the feeling of switching over from my enduro bike (wr450) and not losing much in the way of stout handling, so i think i'm leaning toward a 26er.

thanks for all of the info

Mike

·
1,840 Posts
Horst link versus TNT with the RFX has been a real Coke V. Pepsi thing. I can ride, but I don't know that I'm good/discerning enough to feel faster/slower/whatever more on either. If you are going to get "big" on a bike the RFX isn't the one. I take mine off 10+ foot drops and such and that's probably a bit large for those bikes at my weight (260-ish) but it's taking it. It's been a good trailbike though. I love now stiff it is and it's easy to ride fast in some gnarly conditions.

Brock...

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,133 Posts
El Capitan with WB thru-axle and beefy rims and spokes felt just almost as stiff as my X5 with a similar build. Both are unbelievably stiff frames, so...El Capitan or Moth with a Reba thru-axle with Gordo rims.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.