Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I actually brought this up a few months ago, in regards to an indoor park like Rays, but I believe I have found an option being an outdoor park, and I wanted some feedback.

I have put some figures together, and even have a few investors that are interested in more. I am planning on leasing out a large piece of land in the valley, to construct a freeride skills park. It will include a kids area, beginner,intermediate and epert of the following skill sets. there will be a bridges and ladders area, a dirt jumping area,a pump track area, and a XC area for monthly races. Depending on the space available and property slope, there may also be a 4X4 race course.

Now this wouldn't just be thrown together, this would rival the size of Rays after some building time, but I want to provide a place for people int he valley to work on their skills. I know there are places like NRA and Papago, but this would be all the fun without the work. It will also be a place where people of any skill can come and atleast ride some different stuff.

I am wondering what all your thoughts are, and maybe some suggestions or things you would absolutely want. This is a very real possibility, and if things fall into place could happen by next spring.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought i said outdoor, but i figured that was the idea by the post. Also parking would be on the property and visible to everyone. As for insurance, that is the toughest part. Thanks for your solid input though....

·
No Clue Crew
7,779 Posts
You make it happen and open it for a reasonable daily fee, you'll get some of my cash. Aside from insurance, I'd think the biggest issue would be location. You'd need to pick something central to most of your customers. I, for one, would not drive an hour for something like you're describing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As my screen name says, I am a newbie. What is a central location to the most population of the valley? I am in Tempe and work in Chandler so I dont know how far away from me wold be the best area

·
Banned
18,970 Posts
AZnewbie said:
As my screen name says, I am a newbie. What is a central location to the most population of the valley? I am in Tempe and work in Chandler so I dont know how far away from me wold be the best area
Its not about how far away you are , how far for your customers ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's a slippery slope. I mean I live in Gilbert and I want it in my backyard. But then there are people who live in Avondale and they want it in their backyard. Then there are people who live in Scottsdale and they want it in their backyard.

We've chosen to live in a place which sprawls beyond reasonable sense, I think most people would drive about 45 minutes to ride something like this. Centrally located would be the South Phoenix/Chandler/Tempe Area if I had to make an educated guess (taking into consideration that you can't please everyone).

·
Banned
18,970 Posts
CrankyMonkey said:
Insurance? for what? I thought most of these places are ride at your own risk. You usually have to sign a waiver that says you won't sue and that you know mountain biking is a dangerous sport and you could die as a result of riding and blah blah blah.
Insurance for when someone decides to sue him , and they will , for anything and everything . Waivers are not worth the paper they are written on .

·
Pivotal figure
6,350 Posts
I would GLADLY drive an hour to ride a legitimate (legal) FR area. I already do that to ride NRA and I know plenty of guys who do the same. There are even groups who come up from Tucson just to ride there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good stuff. I wasn't refereing to where I live as to where it should be located, more so that I dont know where the most population in. I would take a safe bet and do it right around my area since it is semi center of the valley.

As for insurance I have to look more into this to find out where I stand.

Keep any ideas about what you want in this type of park/play area please. I wanna get as much info as possible before putting together actual written business plan for investors.

·
dirt visionary
6,536 Posts
Yes do it ! Build it and they will come..... The only reason NRA is what it is ,is because when we were starting out with the whole FR/dh there was very very very little to ride in the valley and as riders well we had to do something .Then it blew up :D . I remember for the longest we would never see a soul. Then it got to a point where there were 30-40 people out during the spring months on a weekend. I would say at least a hundred riders visit nra on a regular basis.

Back in the day Paps had a some hits, playground(rip :( ) had some hits and there was some out at the ikea pit but hardly enough anywhere to keep ones attention for long . Also what was available was pretty darn big as the old OG riders were well beyond building anything smaller.

Anyways please do make this a reality for AZ we need a legit legal place to ride as soon.. The new land mangment policy states ALL TRAILS THAT ARE NOT MARKED OPEN ARE INDEED CLOSED AND ILLEGAL TO RIDE. Once this goes into effect NRA will be illegal to ride period. That goes for all trails on FS land .

As for design I think you have it spot on . Cover as many things as you can so you will draw in everyone from all angles. Again example is nra we built many smaller features even after we were well past them . Gotta have something for everyone from newb to ninja. And got to have enough to keep people busy. I can spend the whole day out at nra with good weather and have no desire to leave.

Best of luck

·
ride more, blog less
288 Posts
like clock said, build it and they will come... i already drive 45 min to somo to get in 1 or 2 DH runs now and then... and a legit, legal spot to ride FR is just what PHX needs... i know people wouldn't hesitate to drive from tucson to ride it either, i'd drive there if i had to...maricopa could be a location to keep in mind

·
Registered
302 Posts
I suggest looking for real estate under a freeway. It would provide much needed shade. I know that there is an industrial area under the junction of the 17 and SR 10. There is also some land under the freeway at the 202 and Priest (Tempe). I believe it was Tmarkos that brought the Tempe location to everyones attention a while back. The Tempe location is actually part of Papago Park. Good luck talking with them. We formed a group about a year ago and approached Paps about constructing a "Bike Skills" area. We pretty much got stone walled. Maybe they are ready to listen to someone now. They may become interested if they hear from enough different riding groups or someone that already has funding.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya, I contacted ADOT a few times, well as a few of the ski resorts in the state, but got either turned down or said they would get back to me and never did.

The issue for me with asking parks to let us have "skills" areas is yes it could possibly happen after a long and difficult process, but then you are limited to what you can do. You have to beg for money, and even then the "skills" are usually watered down for the general public.

Now dont get me wrong, you need those watered down skills to get the general public in, but I wouldn't wanna ride kiddy stuff all day without having the option to push myself to the neXt level.

Anyway, what would you guys want at a park you would have to pay for? I helped biuld up and maintain Diablo Freeride Park when it first opened, so I have some ideas as to what works for people, but what do you want? I wanna get every possible idea I can before planning everything out.

·
Downhill Messiah
493 Posts
I would gladly drive an hour to ride such a place. Hell, i've day tripped sunrise many times and that place doesn't have nearly the appeal to me as a full on bike park with dj's, pumptrack, etc... i've drive an hour to carefree and the 17 to WORK on jumps and a pump track, and not even ride.

All in all, build it, and they WILL come! (At least I Will):D

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Hell yes!

AZ most definately needs a legit FR/DJ skills venue.

We are also working diligently down in Tucson to get a legit skills park going, but through the USFS, county, and city. There are some good options available and a large 100 acre plus site has already been set aside by Pima County.

The present plan for 100 acre site is to create something akin to the most excellent Woodward Bike Skills Park in Fresno. Pima County is also talking about an urban assualt MTB/BMX loop through town. There is also an option for a non-profit to re-develop an older park off of I-10, which would be through a lease from Pima County. This place alrerady has parking and other public facilities, it just needs some good management, dirt, and creativity.

Best of luck achieving what your talking about. We down in Tucson would like to learn from your endevours, and hopefully AZ will have one or two fullblown MTB/BMX skills parks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.