Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys are wearing on your feet when you do what it is that we do.
I bought some Etnies skate shoes but am thinking of taking them back. Super comfy and semi stiff, but I was looking for other ideas. Thanks.

·
ylthgitS dipootS
90 Posts
i got a pair of etnies, so far they kick arse for riding/jumping. they stick hell good to the pedals.

i say stick with thems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
as crazy as it sounds, the best shoes i have ever ridden with are a pair of rebok pump B ball shoes i got for free they are hightops, and are super suportive, not to mention the have ungodly amounts of pedal grip. i had the richie schiley pro sho before that, and those were definatly nice, but the pumps are the best!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Adidas

I get a little love from Adidas so needless to say I wear shelltoes but I wouldn't mind a little more ankle coverage. Lookin at a pair of Hematoma's for race season...rigid sole, 3/4 top and SPD compatible but pricey. I have good pedal "feel" with the flexible shelltoe sole (can feel where the pedal is under my foot) but I'm not sure if I'm gonna dig the rigid sole or not. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

thanks for the input. It sounds to me like all that really matters is personal preference. The only thing that worries me about the Etnies is the thick-ass collar. (Worried about clearance and rubbing on crank.)

·
not really a noob
3,510 Posts
iowaboy said:
thanks for the input. It sounds to me like all that really matters is personal preference. The only thing that worries me about the Etnies is the thick-ass collar. (Worried about clearance and rubbing on crank.)
the inside of my vans are worn down really bad but it looks cool becasue there black.

Attachments

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
make sure u get thick soles
1. wear down fast
2. u dont want any screws coming through ur foot( happened to me)

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey, why dont you go clipless? Just curious, I"m currently not clipless and just wearing a old pair of nike's, i dont have to much problem, just contemplating clipless, any thoughts from this thread?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Vans Maestro or Rowleys mated to Kona Jackshit pedals. Awesome combo. Skate shoes own. The soles on the Maestros seem a bit thin, and have me ever so slightly concerned, but the grip is unreal. I have yet to shin myself since this new shoe/pedal combo. It's bound to happen soon enough... After these Vans die, I think I'm going back to DC or Etnies.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Clipless

dochall22 said:
hey, why dont you go clipless? Just curious, I"m currently not clipless and just wearing a old pair of nike's, i dont have to much problem, just contemplating clipless, any thoughts from this thread?
A lot of racers run clipless but it's just preference I think. This debate has been waged in depth on MTBR but the bottom line is you just can't get your foot out of clips as fast as a platform if you need to throw a foot down. There are obvious bike control benefits to being clipped in and equal risk to going down at high speed attached to your bike. I personally take tech sections at high speed and move around on the bike too much to be clipped in (changing foot position) but I run clips on my trail bike. Preference.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I have these are my main riding shoes. They're a lot more low profile than the pic looks. Maybe 3inches tall at the most. They're a bit different colored than the pic with the main parts black as well as the trim around the black then everything else is white. BEST shoes i've ever ridden in. Nice flexible sole but still pretty stiff. Grabs like nothing else onto my Azonic pedals. They also fit my foot like a glove, unlike those big boat-like skate shoes which I have. Then again I usually have a few pairs to try for biking. I have these, another set of Vans but different, some Lakai Howards (suck for riding too flexy) then a few old Vans that I've turned into lawn mowing shoes. :p

Attachments

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
hmm

By far the best shoe for downhill/freeride is the Five.Ten impact. Made with the same type of rubber that is on Intense Slow rebound tires. Insanely good grip, i won't even ride in my every day etnies any more. Also made of very durable materials. Check out pinkbike, NSMB, and go-ride for good reviews.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.