Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would you like to see freeriding go in the future?

Personally, I'd like to see everybody riding 6-7 inch travel bikes with super snappy geometry. Something like the transition bottle rocket, or a Specialized SX trail or Demo 7.

As for the riding, I'd like to see more tech stuff being done that HUGE drops and monsterous gaps. 360's up step ups... Almost slopestyle stuff, but less massive. I don't like the fact that there's no way to break into the slopestyle unless you're willing to backflip 50 foot gaps. At the same time, I'd like to see freeride videos

I'd like to see most resorts having summer bike service, and extensive freeride trails, with everything from nasty roots and rock gardens to high speed singletrack to big berms and bigger tables.

So what would you like to see?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
a beefed up 6 to 7 inch travel bike would be really nice, but there will always be a market for suspension in the 8 1/2 to 10 inch catagory

everything you see on a skateramp will make it to Freeride IMO sooner then you think

·
Registered
729 Posts
RAMPAGE.also,resorts just need some fast rolling single track,something liek whats in Isaho in ROAM.no huge airs or snything,just fast and flowing.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
The hucks to flat are over with...people understand the concept of trannies these days As a result, a 10" travel bike isn't necessary anymore unless you're racing or always shuttling/riding the park. I've seen the trend to shorter travel take place over the past couple of years and think 6-7" bikes can handle most anything under a skilled rider.

I'd like to see more resorts stepping it up with quality bike parks. I'm lucky to live so close to Whistler, but I'd go crazy if I lived near a bunch of ski areas that still don't "get it" and didn't open up for bikes in the summer.

I think people need to start stepping it up and help build trails that will A. be sustainable (i.e no pallets and shoddy construction) and B. give advanced riders enough of a challenge, but also offer riders learning optional lines. If we expect freeriding to have crossover appeal to the majority of riders, some trails need to be built so riders can at least ride down the trail......even if that means they skip every single feature.

Last, I'd like to see areas like Black Rock, Windrock, Post Canyon, Galbraith, etc. that are prime examples of working with land managers to make these areas legitmate. Good trails don't build themselves.,

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ebxtreme said:
The hucks to flat are over with...people understand the concept of trannies these days As a result, a 10" travel bike isn't necessary anymore unless you're racing or always shuttling/riding the park. I've seen the trend to shorter travel take place over the past couple of years and think 6-7" bikes can handle most anything under a skilled rider.
Exactly how I see it.
I consider myself to be a fairly good rider, but by no means great or incredibly smooth, yet I do this on 6 inches of travel...

That should say something about 10 inch bikes...

And I'd love for the rampage to come back just because it'd usher in a new era of tricked hucking, but for me, I'd like to see it become less deadly! At this rate of progression, it's not going to be long before someone gets killed in one of these competitions.

·
Registered
729 Posts
the problem with being in the trees is it defeats the the idea of having lots of people view the event.it would be hard if it was in the woods.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It would definitely be harder on the builders but I know it could be done. I've seen Bouldering (a type of rock climbing) competitions take place in the woods with WAY more people, both competitors and spectators. In the right setting it doesn't ruin the perspective or the views it makes them better. BTW Vanderham is supposedly working of a comp format in the woods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.