Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so it's bloody early and my coffee hasn't kicked in, also it's snowing and the trails are still deep under snow. Upon my morning babbling... as a hardtail freerider... who else out there is a freeride hardtailer....anyone????

There is no point or question to this thread except for one thought.... Upgrade my Norco Rampage with a 170mm SC or a 170mm 888? Hmmmmmm

Peace

·
Registered
985 Posts
:raises hand:
I am, I am, but right now Im still learning and am only running my Pike 426 at 140mm but when I get back to Tucson Im thinkin bout throwin a Totem on. The Pike is way more sensible out here in Korea.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, what frame are you riding? My Norco head tube supposidly tops out at 170mm for forks, and am running a 160mm fork currently. I say the more travel the better being as we only have one shock to give us cushion! I've heard of people running Monster T's on their Banshee Morphines! If my frame was cool to go a 8 inch Totem would be my #1 choice of fork!

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
I'm on a fully but I'd HELLA like to try freeriding an assraper uhhh hardtail. i guess its jsut using your legs alot more right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hardtails fo sho

This is the bike I'll be rocking this summer, it's a Woodman D-ML frame. Scored a good deal on it on ebay. Running a 66 ata onepointfive up front and couldnt be happier with it. For the days I'm using it to commute to school or trail riding. I will lower it to 140, and pump up the pressure a bit, For lift days, I'll be running it at the full 180(more like 170). This bike will hopefully be making the Big Mountain tours Alpenrock trip in Switzerland with me this August. First pic is with the fork in the 140 position, second is fully extended. Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics.
Can't wait for it to stop snowing up here in Canuk land so I can get some real saddle time in.

Attachments

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
HT's rock, they can make the same old trail seem new again. Of course they'll punish you severely when you forget there's no rear suspension (about 5 ft into that nasty rock garden) but that's the point right? Line selection and and a balance of finesse and brutality..Anyhoo, here's the latest ride :)

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
DirtGash said:
Nice, what frame are you riding? My Norco head tube supposidly tops out at 170mm for forks, and am running a 160mm fork currently. I say the more travel the better being as we only have one shock to give us cushion! I've heard of people running Monster T's on their Banshee Morphines! If my frame was cool to go a 8 inch Totem would be my #1 choice of fork!
Im on the 08 Yeti DJ just like kenbentit

·
Registered
985 Posts
kenbentit said:
HT's rock, they can make the same old trail seem new again. Of course they'll punish you severely when you forget there's no rear suspension (about 5 ft into that nasty rock garden) but that's the point right? Line selection and and a balance of finesse and brutality..Anyhoo, here's the latest ride :)
Hey Ken Im lookin to get the same sprocket you have but cant seem to find a 36t or so in red to go with my new Vendetta crank but cant seem to locate one. Any ideas where to pick one up at? Thanks

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
In one of the pics here I have a travis 180 on the bike. And the other is how it is now, with a sherman 170. I happen to like it better with the Sherman. The Travis was not a prob but because I have shermans laying around and I wanted is a touch shorter that is how it played out. I would really like to put a Travis 150 on the bike. The bike handle razor sharp even with the 180, there was absolutley zero wheel flop. This frame is cleared to run 200mil dual crowns though. BTW my buddy has an Imperial with a Domain 180, and both of thought this Yakuza was slightly quicker even with the travis 180. you have to do whats right for you is the bike can handle 170 and not get flaky in the steering dept go for it. I would get the single crown though, my two cents, I don't like dual crowns.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
08' Komodo 2

I almost sold it...glad I didnt. I just put a Race Face Dioboulis stem on it.

Just getting back into riding after a 9 year hyatis.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hahahaha. COOOOOOOOOOOOL. I popped off it that day a few times but she didnt get pics. Its a cool little trail for a State Park.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
We normally would go to White Clay for some good XC rides. I ride a rigid ss more often than not down there. However, one time, my good friend and I brought our significant others, so since they're really slow, we brought our FR HT's. Turns out that white clay is a lot of fun with a smaller, more aggressive bike. I have just as much fun down there, just in different ways, on a variety of bikes. If you ever want to meet up down there PM me, I love White Clay:thumbsup:

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
heck, hardtails rule. The first pic's my bike.

and here are a couple of my ahem, more skilled buddies doing stuff on hardtails:

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
storf said:
Woodman D-ML frame.
How come I'd totally forgotten about Woodman :madman:

=ChrisB= said:
I'm on a fully but I'd HELLA like to try freeriding an assraper uhhh hardtail. i guess its jsut using your legs alot more right?
I suppose that is the main difference. Riding HT, a hill will sometimes totally exhaust my thighs in places I can just cruise on a "big bike". On a HT you also tend to work the fork more.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts