Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking into options for a hard case for my baby to travel with me.
Long international flights mostly to South Africa and to Britain.
Suggestions!
Thanks!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
There's always Trico.

Another option is to find an old style suitcase. Not the kind that are uprights, but the larger rectangular ones with the handle on the long side. You will have to do some mild disassembly, use minimal air in the tires and use the wheels to stiffen that plane of the case, and use bubble wrap, cardboard, and possibly clothes and/or stiffeners available for little cost at S and S couplers, meant to be used in their cases. This will allow you to transport your bike and avoid overages. I used a medium one of these to transport a bike to Germany, without trouble.

It's also easier to transport than a bike case.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on good ideas.
I want something I can use repeatedly and that I can lock.
I will be tacking my bike a few places. I may investigate the old suitcase trick.
Thanks.
more suggestions plx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Considered a Soft Case??

The Trico cases are definitely the most solid, but the size and weight of them, and other hard cases is an issue. I travelled with my bike from Canada to Europe this past summer, and used a soft case. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20604 The bag is padded pretty well, and I bought some SM styrofoam which you can get from any hardware store to line the inside for added protection. I had no problems with damage, and the bag is big enough that it requires very little disassembly. The bag was on 6 different flights and is still in very good shape.

I initially wanted to go with a hard case, but the trico case alone is 31lbs. A lot of the airlines now have a 70lb maximun weight restriction which meant there was no way I could pack my entire bike in the case. Most of the people I rode with in Europe that were flying with their bikes were using the dakine case. http://www.dakine.com/travel-bags/bike/bike-bag/ Its definitely a quality piece and is very easy to wheel around the airport.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I bought a Dakine bike bag and have had great luck with it. I've flown my Delirium T across North America and to Australia/NZ with it.

A big advantage of this bag is its relatively low weight and ease of rolling. It's super easy to negotiate airport aisles and doors plus its low weight makes it less of a nightmare for the baggage throwers (which I believe encourages them to treat it better).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.