Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking making a trip tojacksonhole wyoming this summer. what is the downhill/freeride scene over there like? do they run the lift for mountain bikers during the summer?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm not sure what the deal with the lifts will be this season. But the scene there is pretty insane. Some of the somewhat secret trails off the pass were right at the limit of my riding, and I'm a fairly competent freerider. There was several on trail drops of over 10 feet, and was in general a blast. Those particular trails need to be shuttled.
I'm not sure about lift service there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As stated above, wehave some prety gnarly stuff. The pass is constently expanding it's trails. Jimmy's mom is rideable and fun for almost anyone. I haven't ridden Lithium in a couple of years, it's over my head. I have friends who love it-drops, steep and loose. Definately full armor trail. When you get to Victor go into Habitat or Wilson Backcountry. Grand Targhee is rumored to be putting three trails in this summer with the help of Whistler. Big Sky is the real choice 2 hours north for true lift access free ride.

archie

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you are going to be in Driggs which is in close proximity to Jackson, ask one of the guys at Peaked Sports about it. They know their freeriding and downhilling.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,506 Posts
I am proud to say that I named 'Jimmy's Mom'.
Long story.
The Targhee project is going to be a bear to green light, I designed and presented the preliminary GPS/GIS maps for targhee to present to the local FS, and the vibe doesn't seem to be too conducive to forward progress in terms of actual construction, and cooperation with the FS.

I wish them luck, but don't count on it.

The Pass trails are awesome, many levels (mostly upper intermediate) with anything from simple boosters to 30 ft. doubles, and mandatory downs.

Currently no lifts are slated to run any signifigant FR/DH terrain, all the good stuff is shuttle...and that being said, PLEASE give props, support, and donate to Teton Freedom Riders for having the cajones to push forward a positive FR agenda. The boys at Wilson Backcountry in Wilson are the true driving force behind the DH scene, The Peaked boys, as much as I love them, (and admire their riding skill) didn't really do squat to make it all happen.
If you love flowy CC, visit the Horseshoe loops in the Big Holes, outside of Driggs. Some local boys (;) have built an excellent network out there, for all levels.
Once again, Peaked's participation was negligable in this effort.

The scene here is getting better, but we still have many challenges. If you do come to ride, PLEASE give props to the Wilson boys and the Teton Valley Pirates. I promise that even better is to come.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
DelTaco said:
I'm not sure what the deal with the lifts will be this season. But the scene there is pretty insane. Some of the somewhat secret trails off the pass were right at the limit of my riding, and I'm a fairly competent freerider. There was several on trail drops of over 10 feet, and was in general a blast. Those particular trails need to be shuttled.
I'm not sure about lift service there.
I wouldn't know about 10' there Trev... Whenever you measure out a drop, you are usually doubling the size. Like, say that 8' drop out in the Owyhees that you claimed was 14'+.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It was approx 14 feet of distance from takeoff to landing, based upon my body height. What you're not seeing in the video is that the takeoff and landing are super steep. It was 14 feet give or take a foot. And the claims I photoshopped that picture are bull. If you find the frame, it's there. And it's highly irrelevant anyways.

And there was a sign there saying "Caution, obstacles of over 10 feet" and it was no ********.

Seems like every post you make is an attack on me and not actually relevant info...

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
DelTaco said:
It was approx 14 feet of distance from takeoff to landing, based upon my body height. What you're not seeing in the video is that the takeoff and landing are super steep. It was 14 feet give or take a foot. And the claims I photoshopped that picture are bull. If you find the frame, it's there. And it's highly irrelevant anyways.

And there was a sign there saying "Caution, obstacles of over 10 feet" and it was no ********.

Seems like every post you make is an attack on me and not actually relevant info...
Nah, I know it wasn't photoshopped. I have the stills put together in sequence. And it is not 14 feet. If you compare it to your rear wheels which is approximately 2 feet, the total drop was about 10'. You can't compare it to your body size because of the fact that your are hunched over when your on a bike.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was referring to when I stood at the point of landing and had it compared. Assuming I'm 6'3" with a helmet on, it supposedly looked a bit under 2 of me, which considering I was calling it 14 feet to landing, not 14 feet vertical distance covered. That means assuming it had a vertical drop of 11ft (which is about what it seems to me) then that means for the total distance covered, I'd have only needed to travel a little over 8 feet of horizontal distance. Although it may not appear so, but I know I covered at least that much distance.

Also, I recall you being one of the people who thought it was photoshopped.

Also, when you use 2 feet to approximate 26 inches (plus almost another inch with DH tires) that means for every foot you measure, you're off by about an inch and a half. After you measuring 10 feet, that means that you undermeasured by approximately 15 inches. That's over a foot.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. It was a large drop, it actually happened, there was no photoshopping going on, and you don't think my means of figuring the height were adequate. I'd start bringing tapemeasures riding, but you wouldn't trust me to measure right...;)

Trevor

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
DelTaco said:
I was referring to when I stood at the point of landing and had it compared. Assuming I'm 6'3" with a helmet on, it supposedly looked a bit under 2 of me, which considering I was calling it 14 feet to landing, not 14 feet vertical distance covered. That means assuming it had a vertical drop of 11ft (which is about what it seems to me) then that means for the total distance covered, I'd have only needed to travel a little over 8 feet of horizontal distance. Although it may not appear so, but I know I covered at least that much distance.

Also, I recall you being one of the people who thought it was photoshopped.

Also, when you use 2 feet to approximate 26 inches (plus almost another inch with DH tires) that means for every foot you measure, you're off by about an inch and a half. After you measuring 10 feet, that means that you undermeasured by approximately 15 inches. That's over a foot.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. It was a large drop, it actually happened, there was no photoshopping going on, and you don't think my means of figuring the height were adequate. I'd start bringing tapemeasures riding, but you wouldn't trust me to measure right...;)

Trevor
First, you are not ****ing 6'3". Roland is 6'3" and you are not nearly as tall as he is.

Second, I never claimed it was photoshopped. I was in the thread, but never actually accused you of photoshopping it. Especially since Kenne got a hold of the footage.

Third, a wheel with tire on it is 26". A wheel alone is not 26".

And why not bring a tape measure with you?? I did it when I was a hucker, but since I am now a tucker, I have no need to. And plus, I don't feel the need to tell people on the height of the drop, mainly because everyone has a different way of interpreting the height of a drop.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Stinkyboy58 said:
thinking making a trip tojacksonhole wyoming this summer. what is the downhill/freeride scene over there like? do they run the lift for mountain bikers during the summer?
This is the OP, just in case this thread gets so far into the 'backcountry' we need a GPS to get back....
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.