Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a new bike and I want something that I can use for light freeriding and moderate downhill, nothing extreme. At the same time I want to be able to climb the mountain and not have to walk it from it being so heavy. And Im on a budget, Ive seen some bikes in my range 1200.00. Like the Ibex FR-1, and some Iron Horse bikes. But which models would be able to do some XC? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Patrick

·
I like bikes
83 Posts
If price was no object, the 2005 Enduro Expert or Pro would be perfect, but those are >$3500

If you are willing to buy used, a 2003-2004 Giant VT would work pretty well, and they are well under $1000 on Ebay. I've seen new ones on closeout for around your price range--check out a Performance store if you have one near you. I have raced mine at Northstar with DH tires and had fun, and it can tolerate moderate drops. It is light enough for some XC as well. A great all around mid range bike. The 2003 had Psylo forks and 2004 had Manitou SPV forks

Of course, I pedal my 44lb Demo 9 up everything...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
In my opinion the perfect bike for this is a Rocky Mountain Switch SL. It's got 6" front and rear like the rest of the Switch line but it's made with lighter tubing, air fork, air shock and components chosen for both strength and weight. The result is a very capable freeride bike that weighs about 34lbs. I would swap the big ring for a bash gaurd and you'd be set.

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
A coiler. A coiler Primo has a 6 inch DHX 5 in the rear. And it has a marzocchi 66 RC in the front which is also six inches and a really nice fork.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
mxrider489 said:
A coiler. A coiler Primo has a 6 inch DHX 5 in the rear. And it has a marzocchi 66 RC in the front which is also six inches and a really nice fork.
Yeah, cool bike, but three times the guy's budget. Sheeesh! :rolleyes:

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
I have a Prophet 800 that pretty much fits that bill (about 2k) but the 600 is a little less expensive. It will work great for the type of riding you described. Its around 27-28 lbs and has pretty good susp travel.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
that's a start

Ok, first off, the Ibex might have decent components for the price, but the frame, well, you can do better. I'd rather have the K2 or the IH. And avoid the Hayes HMX brakes - they're mechanical and not very good mechanical discs at that - they don't work anywhere near as well as Avid's mechanical discs.
So with those choices, I'd be leaning towards the SGS expert. But neither it nor the K2 are going to be great trailbikes - they weigh too much. The best thing you can do if you end up with one is get some lightweight tires and tubes for trailriding. Save the big tires for shuttle/ lift days.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i'd also recommend the prophet, the low end prophet build is low 30 pounds, the team edition * super expensive is at 27* it has 5 in the rear, and a lefty upfront with 6ish if i'm not mistaken best all around bike i can think of.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i have a mint unused sgs expert that i would happily sell to u. i would also recomened a yeti asx. if u can find a used one maybe.. if u are interrested imn my sgs (ridden 5 times in driveway) just send me a pm. thanks

·
Loves His Sunday
670 Posts
Techfreak said:
Yeah, cool bike, but three times the guy's budget. Sheeesh! :rolleyes:
Yah but a regular coiler is only $1599 and you could easily find a used one in this guys price range.

·
Registered
764 Posts
mxrider489 said:
Yah but a regular coiler is only $1599 and you could easily find a used one in this guys price range.
Agreed. The Coiler is a pretty cool bike and even the base model will serve well for what the original poster wants it to do. As your skills improve, you can replace the fork and the various other parts that will get broken. That way you are not in the situation of having either shelled out WAY too much money if you don't really get into it, or to have to buy a fully once you get tired of the hardtail (not that that would happen all that quickly).

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Consider used.

cake96861 said:
Im in the market for a new bike and I want something that I can use for light freeriding and moderate downhill, nothing extreme. At the same time I want to be able to climb the mountain and not have to walk it from it being so heavy. And Im on a budget, Ive seen some bikes in my range 1200.00. Like the Ibex FR-1, and some Iron Horse bikes. But which models would be able to do some XC? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Patrick
For $1200.00 you should look at used bikes. The Santa Cruz Heckler and Azonic Sabre are tailor made for the riding you describe. They are true do everything bikes that can be ridden xc or light freeride. The entry level Iron Horse MIII are priced pretty cheap right now.
If you could up your $$$ limit to $2000.00, another range of bikes will open up for you, used or new.

You might want to consider a hard tail also.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Try to keep in mid that FS is also gonna cost a bit to maintain. It's mmore than just the price of the bike. Especially w/ freeride and downhill, the bike gonna go throught some pricey abuse.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts

Patrick[/QUOTE]

should be able to pick up a used Id for a litle more than the budget, there may be some Moments available as well

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/bikes/index.cfm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.