Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, i'v been doing a little bit of homework but i need your help.

1) A guy on ebay is willing to sell me his avent jibster for 450 with new azonic outlaw wheels, new avid disc brakes, cables front and rear, new cane creek head set with cable right through the bolt to run through the front brake lines, new profile 170mm crank set w/ db bash gaurd, 40T front sprocket, 18T rear casset, new maxxis hollyroller tires and tubes, new shadow conspiracy seat, new fmf hollow pin chain, and new azonic ultra cross bars and stem.

The only thing used in this description is the seat stem, spylo 5" travel fork, and bmx pedals.
The good thing about this is that this guy is local.

Anyways, the Avent Jibster frame, is OK..but i'v looked around and I really like the Transition Trail or Park frame. My only problem is that i have a budget of around 500 dollars with more money on the way from work. I also work at a bike shop and don't ask why i work there, i just ride bikes, i don't make 'em haha. Anyways, what would you suggest I do? save my money and get a bike thats worth getting?

Also this bike is going to be a bike i'm going to use to get to my school and back (5 miles there and back) and to work (5 miles there and back) on my separate work and school days but i'm also going to use it for fun....so the bike is going to be used alot and stay under budget, so what should i get? thanks
tom
p.s. my brother, who has a kona chute, says i can build a bike from the ground up for less than 500 bucks...so is getting the satisfaction of building your own bike to you wants better or getting a quality bike frame is so so components?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Udrija said:
If the bike is going to be in the public eye alot like at school and such I wouldnt spend much on it at all because it will be at risk to get stolen IMHO
stolen? naw...i lock my bikes reall good....i went to a big college last year riding it around and locked it, didn't get stolen so...its just that i need your opinion on what to do on the above post i made..

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Don't Fear The Reaper said:
stolen? naw...i lock my bikes reall good....i went to a big college last year riding it around and locked it, didn't get stolen so...its just that i need your opinion on what to do on the above post i made..
all it takes is a cutter... i suggest getting a locker to put your bike in...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
good one retard...seriously, i need some opinions before i spend some bucks..
that's a sick deal, snap it up quick. and if i see you ride that thing to school i'm going to slam you with a garbage can and steal it from you.

by the way i think he was just tryin' to help.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
seriously dude... i've had my bike jacked at school before and it was not fun... it was locked up pretty good with my Bulldog lock with the wheels to the frame and the frame to concrete. Bolt cutters... They suck... i think some campuses have some lockers to rent out to park bikes... if not, spend an extra $50 on a 10 year old Hardrock or something...

But yeah, that Avent is sick... wont see many of that around either... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrpercussive said:
seriously dude... i've had my bike jacked at school before and it was not fun... it was locked up pretty good with my Bulldog lock with the wheels to the frame and the frame to concrete. Bolt cutters... They suck... i think some campuses have some lockers to rent out to park bikes... if not, spend an extra $50 on a 10 year old Hardrock or something...

But yeah, that Avent is sick... wont see many of that around either... :)
true that....i mean, which is better, having a really nice bike from the company everyone knows or a nice bike that noone knows? avent is made in france by the way...european by design...

but the only PROBLEM is that it is a single speed but i work at a bike shop and i can get a cassette and rear derailer for half off so...but i mean...which color frame would you get, a black or a red? lol...http://www.aventcycles.com/jibster.htm

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
true that....i mean, which is better, having a really nice bike from the company everyone knows or a nice bike that noone knows? avent is made in france by the way...european by design...
a nice bike that no one knows... and thats when you wow people when people see you and say, whoa that kid's going big and not because of his bike... but part of it is... hahahaha

I personally wont wanna ride something every mother and her son rides... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mrpercussive said:
a nice bike that no one knows... and thats when you wow people when people see you and say, whoa that kid's going big and not because of his bike... but part of it is... hahahaha

I personally wont wanna ride something every mother and her son rides... :)
but the only PROBLEM is that it is a single speed but i work at a bike shop and i can get a cassette and rear derailer for half off so...but i mean...which color frame would you get, a black or a red? lol...http://www.aventcycles.com/jibster.htm

so black or reddo?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DHidiot said:
If you have a nice bike on a big college campus outside (locked, unlocked, chained to the ground, or otherwise) it WILL get jacked eventually.
but i don't go to one anymore...i go to a local two year small college for retards and bikers :thumbsup:

i'v taken my bike to classes before and gotten looks from the students and professors alike for giving me a the facial expression saying "why is THAT in here? get a chain son!! haha" and i'm like "its worth more than you!! haha"

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
red's flashy... :)

I've go to a small college too and after my first ride got jacked, my proffesor (the cochair of the music department) hooked me up with a room in the music building to put my bike in... :)

And my school also has locker rental for bikes for like $20 a month or something... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Avent Jibster pictures, its not on ebay anymore, check to see if its good or not.....

mrpercussive said:
red's flashy... :)

I've go to a small college too and after my first ride got jacked, my proffesor (the cochair of the music department) hooked me up with a room in the music building to put my bike in... :)

And my school also has locker rental for bikes for like $20 a month or something... :)
Avent Jibster Pictures from the seller...see if its good or not...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

so what do you think, for 430, a single speed, only used parts are fork, pedals, and seat stem...so and it comes in either black or red...??

Attachments

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Seems like a hell of a deal, but it looks like a no speed in those pictures. Just plan on having to replace the fork sometime in the future; I'm pretty sure Rock Shox doesn't make any parts for the Psylo any more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
michaelg said:
does it come with a chain??
yes it comes with a chain, it's a single speed though. If i get this, i'm ganna be going up some mad sick road hills to get to my work which is 5 miles from my house. IF i get this bike, its for everything to riding to school, work, and to play with of course...
it comes with a new chain, and the new cables come with it. He has giving me the choice of also getting either white wheels or black ones....so should i get it? 430 bucks? plus he's local so....

I'll be using this for a mix of dual slalom, urban freeriding, trail riding, and everything else it can throw at it....so a deal or no deal?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.