Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the mountains near me have gone more freeride than downhill. I'm parting out the new downhill bike and want to get a freeride bike that can be pedalled efficiently. I'm 41 and about 220lbs. so I'm looking for a good compromise between weight, efficiency, and durability. I'm not much for drops si it doesn't have to be a tank. I'd like to stay in the $2,500 range. A good ride for less would be ok too. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
798 Posts
timbyrider said:
Most of the mountains near me have gone more freeride than downhill. I'm parting out the new downhill bike and want to get a freeride bike that can be pedalled efficiently. I'm 41 and about 220lbs. so I'm looking for a good compromise between weight, efficiency, and durability. I'm not much for drops si it doesn't have to be a tank. I'd like to stay in the $2,500 range. A good ride for less would be ok too. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
2 words Banshee Chapperal

more words :p

Hey I would highyly suggest the Banshee Chapperal. rocks for drops, jumps and general trail riding..
you run a 5" or 7" duel crown 24 or 26" wheels. Basically you get a bike you can set up for anything from XC to Downhilling and pedals great with the romic. 5 or 6" rear travel.

you cant go wrong with the bike.
if you want somthing a tad on the lighter side and cheaper you can pick up Kona stinky, which is basically the same design. same with the Transition Dirtbag, Cove g-spot.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
iron horse sgs-freeride. great spec for the price. 4bar linkage with platform damping

Foes fly or inferno. Def some good bikes Frames are not cheap tho... Curnutt shocks rock!

After seeing on this message board 3 broken banshee's id have to say stay away from them til they get their manuf worked out.

VP-free, great bike a little weird to get used too but good good bike.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
I second the Chaparral motion.

Felpur and I have biased opinions as we both ride one.

Great bike though, very flexible and solid. A jack of all trades for sure.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
the chapparal is 10.75lbs with 5 or 6" of travel. You can do better with bikes like the bullit and others that are significantly lighter with the same or greater travel...

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Titus Super-Moto Freeride

Great bike with 7 inches of travel, very good price, excellent customer service. Also, consider an Specialized Enduro. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm 41, 225 lbs, and it sounds like our riding preferences are similar. I chase after my son and his friends on some pretty rough trails and downhill runs but for the most part, leave the jumps and drops to them. Just bought a Cannondale Gemini 2000 about a month ago. Very happy with it so far. Great components and IMHO, excellent value for money. Weighs in at about 35-36 lbs and feels a lot like a trail bike, albeit with 7" + 7" of travel. Took me a while to get used to it after having ridden a 2.5" travel x-country hardtail for serveral years. However, I haven't ridden the hardtail since I got the Gemini because my new ride simply pedals great and is more fun to ride. I can now climb steep trails that I couldn't with the hardtail because the rear suspension allows the tire to remain hooked up. Then, when the trail points downhill it shows its stuff and the geometry and suspension sucks up just about everything.

You should be able to pick one up for $2500 or less. When I was trying to decide, I also looked seriously at the Chaparral and Bullit but they would have cost me $500 to $1000 more for a configuration similar to the Gemini.

Best of luck with your decision . . .

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
I'll say , you being a big guy, get a big fat Stab Primo with a nice Shiver in the front and a Avalanche in the back...with that set up you'll be ready for ANYTHING...

·
Registered
361 Posts
so I'm looking for a good compromise between weight, efficiency, and durability. I'm not much for drops si it doesn't have to be a tank. I'd like to stay in the $2,500 range.
I test rode a Norco Six the other day. It's around $2000. It seems to have pretty good components for the price. It's a 6" travel frame. You get a Marz Z150FR fork and Fox Vanilla RC rear shock. The propedal didn't seem to help any with the pedalling. The guy at the shop told me it was around 37-38lbs although some reviews on this site says it's 40lbs. Is anybody familiar with Norco Six?

·
Gear Whore
1,352 Posts
Just to add, I am 265lbs and after alot of research have decided on the dirtbag, the guys that rin the company rock and ride the hell out of the bikes, the warranty is amazing and the bike is strong. You can get the frame for 849us, just give them a shout. My bike should be here soon...I am soooo excited.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Rocky that best meets your criteria is probably the Switch. In Rocky's product line, the Switch is designed for freeriding but fits between the big hit freeride (RMX) and the all-mountain (Slayer). Never rode one myself but I see several people on the trails and hills with them and they like them. The reviews on MTBR seem to be positive and you can check the forums on nsmb.com for more information as well. There are 3 different models but I think the base model would be the only one within your price range. Check out the specs on www.bikes.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.