Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of anywhere I could get a new frame with 4-5 inches of travel for less than $400. Anything would do, I don't really care about brandname as long as it's not a walmart special.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
mtnbiker662 said:
Does anyone know of anywhere I could get a new frame with 4-5 inches of travel for less than $400. Anything would do, I don't really care about brandname as long as it's not a walmart special.
With a simple shock upgrade, I think you will surprise yourself with the stuff you can hit on this bike: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FR606B00 I personally stay away from used frames/parts, who know what kind of abuse they've suffered before you get your hands on em. But that's just me. :)

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
flowmaster said:
With a simple shock upgrade, I think you will surprise yourself with the stuff you can hit on this bike: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FR606B00 I personally stay away from used frames/parts, who know what kind of abuse they've suffered before you get your hands on em. But that's just me. :)

:eek: DO NOT BUY A KHS!!! :eek: If you do you will regret it. If you lose or break any of the hardware, ie: shock mounting bolts (and they tend to break pretty easy on the XC/FR bikes), you will not get any from KHS. They will give you some BS story about the shock mfg., blah.blah.blah. JUST DON'T DO IT!!! Go on ebay and look at K2 EVO's, Kona Stinky's, Giant AC's, etc. Stick to the more common brands, their customer support is much better.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
red5 said:
:eek: DO NOT BUY A KHS!!! :eek: If you do you will regret it. If you lose or break any of the hardware, ie: shock mounting bolts (and they tend to break pretty easy on the XC/FR bikes), you will not get any from KHS. They will give you some BS story about the shock mfg., blah.blah.blah. JUST DON'T DO IT!!! Go on ebay and look at K2 EVO's, Kona Stinky's, Giant AC's, etc. Stick to the more common brands, their customer support is much better.
I guess you've had some bad luck, I personally have nothing but good things to say about them. note: I'm 190#, 5'11" and I ride a KHS FXT Comp on all manner of trails.

1- Broke my frame at BB, called em up said I didn't have my reciept anymore, they said no problem, they'll look it up by serial. $24 for shipping and 4 days later I had a new frame. (I stressed out the frame a lot doing urban drops so it's my own fault.)

2- Busted my derailuer hanger off at BB, called em up and ordered two. They only had one in stock which they sent to me, I got it 2 days later with an apology note saying they'd ship as soon as they got some in. 5 days later I got two more in the mail (I only paid for two)

3- I wanted to upgrade my piece of crap Rockshock that never really held air to a FOX Vanilla I picked up. I called KHS about the bushings/bolt, they referred me to FOX since those parts are provided by the shock manufacturer. I called FOX, 5 days later I had my shock in place.

I guess it's always hit/miss with any bike co, but as far as I'm concerned KHS/Free Agent rocks. I wish I still had my FA BMX bike :(

Sorry you had a bad experience bro :\
-flow

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Freeride...5"...hmmm.

mtnbiker662 said:
I know some riders have the skill to do crazy stuff on a hardtail, but really on FS stuff if you don't get to 6" you may be wasting your time. This may be one of those times that you really have to say, "if you want to play, you have to pay." Most bikes with 4-5 inches of travel are really trail and aggressive trail bikes. Freeride starts to fall withing the realm of Bullit to Demo 9 level bikes. Don't "cheap-out" and be sorry afterwards if you're really talking about freeride level action.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
flowmaster said:
I guess you've had some bad luck, I personally have nothing but good things to say about them. note: I'm 190#, 5'11" and I ride a KHS FXT Comp on all manner of trails.

1- Broke my frame at BB, called em up said I didn't have my reciept anymore, they said no problem, they'll look it up by serial. $24 for shipping and 4 days later I had a new frame. (I stressed out the frame a lot doing urban drops so it's my own fault.)

2- Busted my derailuer hanger off at BB, called em up and ordered two. They only had one in stock which they sent to me, I got it 2 days later with an apology note saying they'd ship as soon as they got some in. 5 days later I got two more in the mail (I only paid for two)

3- I wanted to upgrade my piece of crap Rockshock that never really held air to a FOX Vanilla I picked up. I called KHS about the bushings/bolt, they referred me to FOX since those parts are provided by the shock manufacturer. I called FOX, 5 days later I had my shock in place.

I guess it's always hit/miss with any bike co, but as far as I'm concerned KHS/Free Agent rocks. I wish I still had my FA BMX bike :(

Sorry you had a bad experience bro :\
-flow
As I stated.
RED5 said:
Shock mounting bolts
Yes the shock mfg, will supply you with the bushings and bearing for the shock itself, but not the mounting hardware (bolt). All the other parts/pieces you mentioned are standard, derailleur hangers, warranty frame. It's the odd bolt you cannot find and the sad thing it's not anything you cna find standard anywhere.

Hell, after talking to the team riders for KHS I guess they cannot get the bolts either. They have too jury rig their shock back on if one of them should break the bolt. Just seems stupid to me. :confused: :mad:

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
i almost picked up a bumpy monkey frame for 350$ on ebay. You can also get Kona, KHS, and a few others on ebay for that price range. Your going to have to go used though. Keep an eye on the classifieds on this site too. Good luck - i know where your at.

·
Registered
142 Posts
5 inches is just fine for an agressive trail/freeride bike. i raced DH on a 5/5 last year and placed in the top 3 (k2 disco monkey). less travel is great sometimes.... i guess it depends on the person

·
born to chill
986 Posts
bansheebikeman said:
5 inches is just fine for an agressive trail/freeride bike. i raced DH on a 5/5 last year and placed in the top 3 (k2 disco monkey). less travel is great sometimes.... i guess it depends on the person
Yup, 90% rider, 10% bike. There are a whole lot of people who make up with equipment what they lack in talent. Not bagging on em of course, that's just the reality of it and that statement applies to many sport/rec activities. (MX, 4 wheeling, etc)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.