Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is now my favorite way to loop Freel/Toads, with the new Star lake connector trail this makes for a really fun no shuttles required loop. I plan on doing this one several times this summer.

Park at the bottom of Toads, ride up Oniedes, hit Corral/Sidewinder/Incense cedar for the really fun berm-ed out goodness. Take power lines, my track bypasses some of the of ugly sandy climbing on power lines. Then ride up Cold Creek to High Meadows and catch the new Star Lake connector. Then Up to Freel pass, if tired drop down Armstrong back to the car or continue up to Freel Meadows and the top of Toads back to the car.

You can also choose to bypass Cold Creek and ride the fire road up to the Star Lake connector, but I find riding up in the shade next to the stream on single track much more pleasant even with a few short HAB's than that hot steep fire road.

Appox 30 miles & 5200 feet of climbing.

SidewinderColdCreekFreelToads - MTBGuru: mashing up GPS data, photos and maps to share mountain biking, road bike, hiking and other outdoor experiences

·
Registered
668 Posts
Awesome! So the Cold Creek / fireroad / Star Lake connector is a fairly easy climb now?

Bummer I couldn't make it there last weekend, but I'm glad to notice you gentlemen seemed to have an enjoyable round of outings.

·
Registered
754 Posts
nice, we were an hour or so behind you on Saturday and wound up doing about the same loop. felt like a bigger ride than the stats suggest, I felt a good 7K worth of two-day old lactic acid in my legs on my ride yesterday. that star lake trail is a really nice climb, felt like it was almost downhill after cold creek. thanks for the loaner wheel, by the way...

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Matt would have enjoyed riding with you and Marc again, we got antsy thinking it might get pretty warm for that climb so we opted to charge ahead, especially with 40 miles under our legs the day before.. Glad the wheel worked out for ya, I knew the shop would be to swamped to get to it while you waited.

El Hombre, the new star lake connector is an easy climb and the fireroad that connects to Cold creek is basically flat. Cold creek is steepish in spots and there are a few short hike-a-bikes, but probably less than the back side of Monument pass coming up from Stagecoach. As you have access to my private tracks, you can see you missed a lot over 4 days :D

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
I like it....

So this is now my favorite way to loop Freel/Toads, with the new Star lake connector trail this makes for a really fun no shuttles required loop. I plan on doing this one several times this summer.

Park at the bottom of Toads, ride up Oniedes, hit Corral/Sidewinder/Incense cedar for the really fun berm-ed out goodness. Take power lines, my track bypasses some of the of ugly sandy climbing on power lines. Then ride up Cold Creek to High Meadows and catch the new Star Lake connector. Then Up to Freel pass, if tired drop down Armstrong back to the car or continue up to Freel Meadows and the top of Toads back to the car.

You can also choose to bypass Cold Creek and ride the fire road up to the Star Lake connector, but I find riding up in the shade next to the stream on single track much more pleasant even with a few short HAB's than that hot steep fire road.

Appox 30 miles & 5200 feet of climbing.

SidewinderColdCreekFreelToads - MTBGuru: mashing up GPS data, photos and maps to share mountain biking, road bike, hiking and other outdoor experiences
I like it alot! A couple of us did a point-to-point 2 weekends ago of Stagecoach/TRT to Star Lake/Star Connector Tr/Fire road/Cold Creek for the first time down to the lake. Great ride! Okie Dokie and I were trying to figure out a loop without too much road and/or going back up Kingsbury at the end. Now we have one. Although I didn't care for some of the middle "hike a bike" up some of the step sections(ego only 'cause of too many dabs....since I like to pedal that stuff!), once we hit the saddle and got our groove back the final sections ascending up to Star Lake were great. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you think it's a fair trade off going up Cold Creek and Connector in liew of Stage/TRT. I'll l keep an eye open for one of your jaunts and tag along.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Solid loop. I like how you throw in Corral loop for good measure to!
We're getting so many epic loop opions here - now construction on the Monument connection from the top of Cold Creek is starting by the Forest Service too. Good times in Tahoe.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sounds like you think it's a fair trade off going up Cold Creek and Connector in liew of Stage/TRT.
Just trying to say I thinks it's about the same amount of HAB either way, Stage TRT to Star is an awesome trail and can be incorporated into this loop by simply riding corral over to Saddle Road and working your way over to VanSickle. This loop is great for folks in reasonable shape that want to do a few days of riding in a row without throwing down a bigger loop, but it's easy to go bigger if you want. As easy addon is to continue up the road to the top of Armstrong Connector.

now construction on the Monument connection from the top of Cold Creek is starting by the Forest Service too. Good times in Tahoe.
Great news, I was skeptical on how good this trail good be given the sandyness of the current drop from Monument, but I ran into Nil's a couple weeks ago up in High Meadows and he explained how the route was going to go and it sounds like another great option for loops!, Tahoe is quickly becoming a world class destination for mountain bikers, big thumbs up to the Forest Service :thumbsup:

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
Exactly

Just trying to say I thinks it's about the same amount of HAB either way, Stage TRT to Star is an awesome trail and can be incorporated into this loop by simply riding corral over to Saddle Road and working your way over to VanSickle. This loop is great for folks in reasonable shape that want to do a few days of riding in a row without throwing down a bigger loop, but it's easy to go bigger if you want. As easy addon is to continue up the road to the top of Armstrong Connector.
We missed out on Vansickle last time. Have to hit it next!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been wading through a bunch of footage from 6 rides over 4 days, first one is the Freel High country to Toads from this ride posted above, just a taste of what you'll see on this ride there's plenty more!

Some East side riding

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Jeff, we'll be up at the house this weekend. Let me know if you're interested in hooking up for a ride. I'd love to do your posted route! Cheers, mate.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Oldie

Went over Freel Pass last week for the first time in years. Reminded me that I once did it covered in a bit of snow. Here is an oldie video from before the fancy minicams. I'm trying to get Tahoetic to do Mt. Rose Burger Kingsbury via Chimney Beach rather than that boring fire road to Spooner. But it would require some road riding.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Jeff, we'll be up at the house this weekend. Let me know if you're interested in hooking up for a ride. I'd love to do your posted route! Cheers, mate.
Would be a blast to ride with you Kyle, but I'm headed off to Yosemite in a couple hours, gonna visit Dwight while I'm out there also.

Have fun!

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
Weather report?

What's it look like for the weekend? Was thinking about heading up. Haven't decided north or south yet.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Awesome!

Went over Freel Pass last week for the first time in years. Reminded me that I once did it covered in a bit of snow. Here is an oldie video from before the fancy minicams. I'm trying to get Tahoetic to do Mt. Rose Burger Kingsbury via Chimney Beach rather than that boring fire road to Spooner. But it would require some road riding.

Wow, this looks like a great trail! I'm assuming there is some climbing to first to earn it?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts