Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could someone please educate me on freehubs? The below (larger thread in pic) is from a Giant Roam (my training/commuter bike).

I need to replace the freehub as I'm doing a 1x10 conversion and this freehub is 7speed.

My spare 9/10/11 freehub has much smaller threads so doesn't fit.

What type of freehub is the one I've removed so I can order a 10speed version?

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Drinkware Lens
Automotive tire Camera lens Wood Font Gas

Thanks,

James

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
they are almost always hub specific. with OEM hubs, you may or may not be able to change them to something different. you likely will need to know who the OEM manufacturer of the actual hub is, and to find some kind of model number on the hub itself.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
How did I know that would be the case!!

OK thank you, I'll try and track some details down from Giant.
First of all have you tried a 10speed cassette and it definately doesn't fit? Maybe I'm wrong in this case but as far as I know a standard HG freehub can fit cassettes from 7-11 speed (and even some 12 speed HG compatible cassettes).?

I've had to find a similar type of replacement freehub which had no identifying marks fitted for a Whyte re-branded hub. To me it looks like a Formula hub/freehub which are also the most common fitted OEM hubs used by a lot of bike brands.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Was there a spacer behind the 7 speed cassette? If so, then you probably should be able to fit the 10 speed on it.

If not, like you're assuming, you'll need a new freehub body, as 8,9, and 10 won't fit on a 7 speed freehub.

Another thing to do is measure the length of both freehubs. If the old 7 speed is the same length as the new one, you ought to be able to fit 10 speed on it also. Last resort, and proceed at your own risk, is to find out the length difference, and then file down the splines at the base of the old freehub that amount. There's videos on Youtube showing the process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.