Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the mountian is within
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use a Shimano 629 freehub on say,a SLX hub? I am waiting on a warr. SLX (i try the lower cost hubs on my bike-for feedback to customers-a bust freehubs in 3mon on SLX in seems...) They say it is stronger. I am just trying not to rebuild another wheel from another hub(also 629 is only 32h-im 240lb-36h here) or order a hub before i need to build more wheels. I know there are stronger freehubs-but im serching for the best dollar value for folks.
Thanks in advance for anyone who trys odd switch games like this...
Bz
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
29buzz said:
Has anyone tried to use a Shimano 629 freehub on say,a SLX hub? I am waiting on a warr. SLX (i try the lower cost hubs on my bike-for feedback to customers-a bust freehubs in 3mon on SLX in seems...) They say it is stronger. I am just trying not to rebuild another wheel from another hub(also 629 is only 32h-im 240lb-36h here) or order a hub before i need to build more wheels. I know there are stronger freehubs-but im serching for the best dollar value for folks.
Thanks in advance for anyone who trys odd switch games like this...
Bz
The LX M629 and the SLX M665 rear hubs use the same FH Body (Y-3D3 98080)
:thumbsup:
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
29buzz said:
Has anyone tried to use a Shimano 629 freehub on say,a SLX hub? I am waiting on a warr. SLX (i try the lower cost hubs on my bike-for feedback to customers-a bust freehubs in 3mon on SLX in seems...) They say it is stronger. I am just trying not to rebuild another wheel from another hub(also 629 is only 32h-im 240lb-36h here) or order a hub before i need to build more wheels. I know there are stronger freehubs-but im serching for the best dollar value for folks.
Thanks in advance for anyone who trys odd switch games like this...
Bz
mtnbiker72 said:
The LX M629 and the SLX M665 rear hubs use the same FH Body (Y-3D3 98080)
:thumbsup:
I 'heard' the same thing (from what I consider a reliable source) too (that the 629 FH is supposedly improved over the 665 in spite of them having the same part #). I (me and my 275lb self) had an SLX hub and blew up the FH in 6 months. I have been riding a 629 rear hub for the past few months and have been crossing my fingers that it is true even though I think I am a bit sleptical because of them having the same part #.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
jeffj said:
I 'heard' the same thing (from what I consider a reliable source) too (that the 629 FH is supposedly improved over the 665 in spite of them having the same part #). I (me and my 275lb self) had an SLX hub and blew up the FH in 6 months. I have been riding a 629 rear hub for the past few months and have been crossing my fingers that it is true even though I think I am a bit sleptical because of them having the same part #.
I didn't "hear" it...I read it directly off of Shimano's Tech Docs web page...same exact part number for the freehub body on both.
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
I didn't "hear" it...I read it directly off of Shimano's Tech Docs web page...same exact part number for the freehub body on both.
I posted about the part numbers being the same back in April and May when my FH blew.

Just saying that I had a call placed to Shimano and that is what I was told. Sounds weird, but I suppose it is possible that they may have been updated since the original 665 freehub bodies came out :confused:

Specifically, it was that they had gone to stronger pawls and some different angles to some of the parts inside the FH body.

Were they blowing sunshine into a bad place? IDK. Just relaying what I was told. I've been pouring the coal to them in an attempt to see for myself.
 

·
the mountian is within
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for researching the part number :)-doh! that skipped my mind! We have had bad luck with Deore-now SLX....some hard riders are thrash XT-and except for getting loose-have held going on a full year of race/ride hardcore. Still,back in the day-they all held up fine unless you did too much carwash and blew out the grease. We ran 20/32 on 26ers just fine-now 24/34 on 29er (on my ride) eats um up in 3mon! I have built a few now on the SRAM X9 and the Sram mid range model-so far so good. I just want-for the masses-a reasonable price hub that 200lb riders can get over a year service. It is easy to build highend bikes-the parts are awesome-but in southern WV-times are tough-and budget is the way we go. Thanks for help and replies-and for any other input anyone has!
Bz
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top