Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I went out for a ride this morning and half-way through the ride, my chain popped off. I put it back on, pushed off with my foot and it immediately popped off again. I put it back on and it did the same thing. I got off the bike and saw that when the cranks were spun backwards, the derailleur would move forwards and then the chain would pop off. I figured out that the chainrings weren't freewheeling backwards. I tried to muscle the chainwheel back and it didn't budge. I tried three more times and it finally spun backwards. The rest of the ride was good except for one loud band I heard later (which I think was the freewheel stopping (freezing) and starting again). The freewheel mechanism is attached to the hub. The wheels are mavic crossmax (2001 edition) and the cassette is a Shimano XT (one month old).

Does anyone know what might have gone wrong? I'm guessing the problem is in the spinning freehub (possibly those two little cheap plastic pieces that keep the wheel from spinning freely in both directions)? Sorry if I didn't explain this good, I'm not a bicycle technician by any means. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Tracking up the place
628 Posts
Sounds like a Pawl broke...over crankin...happens especially with Shimano stuff... Take the cassette body off, then the hub body and see what got broken... My Xt blew twice and the hub body ground into the axle.. That why i now roll on mavic hubs...

Happened on a short steep didn't it...?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Mavic freehubs have always been a bit of a high maintenance girlfriend, the freehubs need regular lubrication. They used to include the info in the user guide but they seem to like to keep it a secret these days, it's not in the manual and they have no publicly accessible tech or service documents on the website. :skep:

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Sounds like you'll be.....

waiting on some parts. From what you describe you've likely lunched a pawl or two and possibely damaged the engagement notches in the freehub body. The loud bang was NOT a good thing obviously. You'll need to tear the freehub down to assess the damage and go from there. Unfortunately the only source for parts is a Mavic dealer, and they ain't cheap.

So unless you've got a back up wheelset or a back up bike, you're likely done riding till the repairs are made.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squash said:
waiting on some parts. From what you describe you've likely lunched a pawl or two and possibely damaged the engagement notches in the freehub body. The loud bang was NOT a good thing obviously. You'll need to tear the freehub down to assess the damage and go from there. Unfortunately the only source for parts is a Mavic dealer, and they ain't cheap.

So unless you've got a back up wheelset or a back up bike, you're likely done riding till the repairs are made.

Good Dirt
Thanks for all the replies. The backup wheelset is already on the bike (Bontrager Race Lites). I'll take the wheel to my tech and see how bad I messed it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.