Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new set of wheels with DT350 hubs. I recently upgraded the ratchets. When I have the bike in the stand and freewheel backwards it seems there is a little tension that starts to spin the wheel backwards. I didn't put very much grease in so I don't think that's it. What else should I look at?

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
I have a new set of wheels with DT350 hubs. I recently upgraded the ratchets. When I have the bike in the stand and freewheel backwards it seems there is a little tension that starts to spin the wheel backwards. I didn't put very much grease in so I don't think that's it. What else should I look at?
Flip open the lever on your QR skewer or thru-axle, but don't remove it. Now backpedal. Same?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flip open the lever on your QR skewer or thru-axle, but don't remove it. Now backpedal. Same?
I unscrewed the thruaxle a couple turns and it is much better. As soon as I tighten it not even to torque spec it's back to as previously stated. I even popped off the cassette and freehub to see if anything looked amiss.
So what does that mean?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
The tightened axle is putting pressure on the bearings, and this increases rolling resistance.

Non-preload adjustable hubs are nice because there is less to mess with and come loose. However when you have adjustable preload you can torque your thru axle down, then adjust the bearing preload by lightly tightening clockwise until it seats against the bearings, and you can spin the wheel (chain removed) and quickly find the spot where it spins easiest, and it's actually a pretty significant difference. Set wrong, I get maybe 3 wheel rotations, set correctly I get maybe 12 rotations.

This was one of the reasons in the end I'm building a new set of wheels using Project 321 hubs, I wanted the preload adjustability.

As far as a non adjustable hub, I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe use blue locktite on the axle (I always do anyways) and torque to the minimum allowed spec?

·
Registered
17,520 Posts
Never had that problem with mine or any others I've messed with. Seems like mikesee might be familiar with that issue so hopefully he'll be chiming in soon with an answer.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,079 Posts
Ratchet hubs have a spacer that goes on the axle and makes sure that the freehub is correctly positioned and can freely rotate. After you maintained the ratchets, did you put back the spacer? It’s like small tube.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think I had a problem similar to this but my memory is really fuzzy. I think it came down to one of the bearings not being fully seated in the hub or freehub. Or perhaps I fixed it by *not* fully seating one of the bearings. Sorry, not much help!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ratchet hubs have a spacer that goes on the axle and makes sure that the freehub is correctly positioned and can freely rotate. After you maintained the ratchets, did you put back the spacer? It's like small tube.
Yep spacer tube is there (I just double checked).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.