Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my spank hex freehub has been doing something odd. The freehub was almost silent recently. I took the freehub apart and noticed the pawls were sticking and not extending back out. I cleaned out all the grease (wasnt much anyway) Pawls were all working fine out of the bike in my hand pressing on them and watching them pop back out. Went for a ride today and not even 5 minutes into the ride the pawls went silent again and could just hear them very slighty.

How do i fix this? is it a matter of to much grease in the actual hub? I havent greased it once since i got it and its probably only 3 months old. When i did get it i actually wiped some grease out as there looked to be quite a bit.

· Registered
258 Posts
Many hubs can use freehub oil instead of grease for faster and louder actuation of the pawls. Check with spank to see if yours can. Of course, if the hub has been ridden with partial engagement, there is a good chance damage has occurred to the pawls or worse, the drive ring itself.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many hubs can use freehub oil instead of grease for faster and louder actuation of the pawls. Check with spank to see if yours can. Of course, if the hub has been ridden with partial engagement, there is a good chance damage has occurred to the pawls or worse, the drive ring itself.
There defiantly seems to be some wear but it seems fine and hasnt slipped or anything. I noticed some tiny metal bits on the freehub which is bad im guessing.

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Also where grease is used, it is normally a lighter 00 or 0 grease, not a 2, which most common greases are. It is possible the original grease was contaminated which thickened it and the grease used was No. 2, so the pawls are not engaging fully. Per Spank (step 9 in their wheel service):

"Re-lubricate the hub internals, including the axle shaft, ratchet ring, and bearing surfaces, with a light weight pure grease, or specific hub grease. Note: heavy weight lubricants, or lubricants which are not pure and may contain some particulate matter, can damage your hub, and might cause the hub pawls to stick, which can be dangerous."

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also where grease is used, it is normally a lighter 00 or 0 grease, not a 2, which most common greases are. It is possible the original grease was contaminated which thickened it and the grease used was No. 2, so the pawls are not engaging fully. Per Spank (step 9 in their wheel service):

"Re-lubricate the hub internals, including the axle shaft, ratchet ring, and bearing surfaces, with a light weight pure grease, or specific hub grease. Note: heavy weight lubricants, or lubricants which are not pure and may contain some particulate matter, can damage your hub, and might cause the hub pawls to stick, which can be dangerous."
I'm pretty sure water got in and that's what contaminated it as I could see a slight rust on the bearing. Which is very disappointing for such a high end wheel to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.