Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took apart my XT disc hub last night and my freehub and drive side bearings are shot. There is major pitting in the freehub cup and the bearings were actually deteriorating! My question is...can I use any Shimano freehub as a replacement? Also, what size bearings will I need? Best place to buy? Thanks so much for the help...

T

·
Registered
895 Posts
MRfire said:
Took apart my XT disc hub last night and my freehub and drive side bearings are shot. There is major pitting in the freehub cup and the bearings were actually deteriorating! My question is...can I use any Shimano freehub as a replacement? Also, what size bearings will I need? Best place to buy? Thanks so much for the help...

T
Some Shimano freehub bodies have different diameter dust caps which can cause some compatability problems with the RH axel dust cap

If you don't want to speed the $$ for a XT you can certainly put on a LX freehub or even a Deore.
You will need 1/4 bearings for the rear - clean and inspect your cones before putting it all together

Best place to buy - LBS.... bring in your old X spd freehub and get them to order the correct one

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.