Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, terrible Highlander joke. I can't help it.

It's become clear that the Free Tubes contest (see the original rules here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=380080) is not proceeding at the planned pace. I don't know why this is, but the fact remains that I've seen no progress, and it's been 10 months.

I'm a little disappointed about this, so I've decided that I'll enforce my original rules - GotDirt, you need to return the tubes, BB shell, and other parts, or alternately pay me fair value (I'd estimate that's about $90) for them.

The good news is that the contest will be re-started. Everyone who posted an entry to the original contest is eligible to enter again (you can just re-post your original entry on this thread). And those who didn't have a chance to enter have a week (from today) to post their entries here as well. Next Monday, I will post a 24 hour *poll* to allow everyone to vote for their candidate of choice.

I am not automatically entering the original entrants, so please re-post your entry if you want to be considered.

There are two new rules: You will be required to post a progress report EVERY WEEK to keep us up to date on your experience. And I will be requiring a deposit this time - you must send me a check or paypal payment for $100 to get the tubes. That money will be returned to you upon satisfactory completion of the frame and documentation here on the forum (note that if you don't end up with a rideable frame on the first try, that's ok - you just have to make a serious effort and document your progress).

I am hoping that these rules will help push the winning builder to actually get something done. I think this can be really fun as well as educational for all of us.

So post your entries, folks!

-Walt

-Walt

· Team Awesome
994 Posts
2nd Try

Who I am: Andrew Brautigam. Quasi-serious endurance racer. Big time bike geek. Full time law student.

What I'll Build: Monster Cross-ish Utility Bike. I'll probably use the flat bars that I have on hand. It'd be built ford-tough, beefy enough to haul around 4 1000 pg casebooks and a laptop. Fender and rack capabilities. I have a Salsa steel 29er fork and an extra pair of POS 29er wheels lying around, some old magura disc brakes, and some other parts.

The Plan: The local tech school has adult-ed welding classes, and they offer mig/tig. One of the shops here in town is owned buy a guy who used to build his own frames. The school has welders and a full machine shop. The bike shop has expertise and frame-building tools.
If I win, I'll take the welding classes, learn to weld, and put together a frame. I'll take it to the bike shop and let Chip Wamsley tell me how bad it is, and if it won't fall apart if I ride it.

I am kind of a tech-tard, so my learning process will probably be tedious enough to help any one who reads the accounts learn how to build a frame. I also have no problems embarassing myself, or admitting my mistakes.

Whady'a think?

· Registered
2,384 Posts
I do remember reading in this forum soewhere that GDirt said something biggr came up and he's post about it at a later time...Who knows when that is.

I've been trying to cronicle my entire frame building attempts on my blog (from the very beginning) but I've been horribly lax in my welding practice as of late. (Although Walt did hook my up with tube scraps..Thanks).
Next couple of days I'll be back in our coooolllldddd garage welding again and hopefully posting stuff worth reading about.

· Registered
682 Posts
Well, I'll toss my hat back in the ring. My thinking has changed a bit since the last time Walt offered up some tubes. After a fun and reasonably successful cyclocross season that's where my brain is. I'll be spending most of my time this winter on my mountain bike so the plan is to strip the parts off the cross bike and build a plywood and angle-iron fixture off of my current frame. I have an oxy-propane setup with a good torch and a pretty good workspace once I move my motorcycle to the shed for the winter. My plan is to fillet braze the tubes. I'm a welding engineer by profession but I haven't brazed since college so it'll be a bit of re-learning.

Pros:
existing geometry
simple tube shapes with hopefully no bending required
good workspace
don't have to learn to weld first

Cons:
will likely be spending a good bit of January out of state for work

Here's my vision. If my first frame turns out to be a fugly tank I can still use it as a flatbar townie.

Attachments

· Registered
2,384 Posts
MichauxYeti said:
Well, I'll toss my hat back in the ring. My thinking has changed a bit since the last time Walt offered up some tubes. After a fun and reasonably successful cyclocross season that's where my brain is. I'll be spending most of my time this winter on my mountain bike so the plan is to strip the parts off the cross bike and build a plywood and angle-iron fixture off of my current frame. I have an oxy-propane setup with a good torch and a pretty good workspace once I move my motorcycle to the shed for the winter. My plan is to fillet braze the tubes. I'm a welding engineer by profession but I haven't brazed since college so it'll be a bit of re-learning.

Here's my vision. If my first frame turns out to be a fugly tank I can still use it as a flatbar townie.
That's cheating...lol

· Non Dual Bliss
6,175 Posts
I'm in. Send them to me and I'll build my first frame since '04....

· Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know...

I'm not sure if you're ready, man. I don't know who you are, or what "Anvil bikes" might be, but I'm just not sure if you have the drive and determination to make this happen.

Building bikes is a lot of work, you know. Do you have access to a workshop? Or maybe some space in your parents' garage?

-Walt

DWF said:

· Non Dual Bliss
6,175 Posts
Walt said:
I'm not sure if you're ready, man. I don't know who you are, or what "Anvil bikes" might be, but I'm just not sure if you have the drive and determination to make this happen.

Building bikes is a lot of work, you know. Do you have access to a workshop? Or maybe some space in your parents' garage?

-Walt
I have lots of hobbies to distract me, I've designed all my own tooling and some new stuff as yet untested, and I'm constantly either on the phone or standing around waiting for some big dumb machine to finish what it's doing. Which is what I'm going right now.

I promise to work on it at least 5-minutes a day.

· Registered
2,384 Posts
I might as well dig into the batter's box, too.
UBI tig grad.
Own my own welder.
Right now spending most of my time just practicing beads.
Getting tube clocks in the next week or so.
I have a jig that I'm in the process of figuring out how I can make it work for my needs. (another long story altogether, but a step I think that's important to be able to build frames.)
I'm a Virgo.
I like long walks on the beach, fantasy football, cheap beer and making love at midnight.
I dislike flat tires, mean people, the NY Yankees, and bikes that have EBB's/Sliders.
Anything else you need to know, just ask.

· Registered
714 Posts
Guys, I'm still interested in doing this and would like to campaign for your votes. Things have changed since my original post (see italics below) and I have sold the Soulcraft 26" and migrated all the parts over to a Vassago Jabberwocky. The Vassago was an inexpensive interim solution for a 29er SS as the shop I build wheels for gave me a great deal on it. I love the Vassago. It hurts my feelings though. It's such a great bike to ride but the mass produced in Asia thing kills me. After getting this idea in my head a year ago, no custom frame from anyone will satisfy me. I want something that no one else can have and that's a frame build by me, for me. It would certainly have similar geometry to the Vassago (minor tweaks) but I've ridden a lot of 29er frames in 2008 to see how they feel/fit and have a good idea of what I'd do. I'm ready to start immediately, just looking for that thing to push me over the edge. Winning this contest and being required to keep you guys updated would certainly be the motivation I need. I've been following this forum and doing other research (even met CBaron a few weeks ago at the North Texas Handmade Bike Show) but still haven't pulled the trigger on getting anything built. I've also met Glenn at Daltex here locally as well as David of Southwest Frame Works and both have shown some interest in helping if I get stuck. I'd almost certainly work with Glenn to do braze ons (if he'll have me) as my experience is in TIG and not brazing.

Walt, I did make a mistake--I thought Dallas Bike Works rep'd you but it was another builder i was thinking of (reference from original post below).

So guys, my hat is back in the ring, or still in it as it were. I'd be honored to accept the challenge if you vote for me and I'm stoked that this is back on, or almost back on. At any rate, even if I don't win, I'll still be following the lucky winner as I've been waiting for nearly a year to learn from that process.

Walt, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to accept this challenge from you. I'm sorry to get in late, I just signed up on this forum last week and saw this post. I know that not only could I get this done, but I'm confident that it would be a very ridable frame and I'd be excited to get started.

My name is Jay and I love bikes. Who on here doesn't? However, I do all my own maintenance and build wheels for several of the local racers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I also build for a local shop (one that happens to rep Waltworks--feel free to call Boyd to check on me) so I know who you are even though you most likely don't know me. Often, folks say that wheel building is the Holy Grail of bicycle maintenance and I suppose it is in the "maintenance" aspect. To me, building my own frame would be the Holy Grail and it's something I've wanted to do for some time.

My project would be simple, a steel 29er single speed. I've been single speeding for a while, I enjoy my geared bike too, but after building up a new 29er fully with gears, I've decided I'd like a new steel SS, hard tail of course. Building my own would be very exciting, so I'd happily accept the challenge should you choose me.

That said, I'd hope you would guide me through the process. I'm sure that I'll have very little problem fitting the tubing and wouldn't need much assistance. I have TIG welded in the past and even welded 4130 tubing for a project in college. I'm certainly not a great welder, but I can make the joints stick--they just aren't pretty. So on the assembly, I think I'm set.

What I'd want guidance for is the process of the frame design. I can't imagine finding a better opportunity to work with someone such as "Walt of Waltworks". If you could assist, even if it's simply mark-ups of a drawing, I'd be all over this. Not only would I learn how to build a frame, I hope to learn how to design my frame to fit me. This is 90% of my motivation to do this. Having you sign off on my geometry or having the opportunity for you to walk me through changes really would be a special thing, perhaps once in a lifetime from a recognized builder. I promise not to take up too much of your time, but I'd sure hope you could spend a little time with me on this.

My background is now in Sales but have my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I am very hands on though and not the "typical engineer" that is all book smarts and no real life experience. The Sales direction has left me wanting to do "engineering projects" for fun and this would be great. I'm well versed in CAD both 2D and 3D. I have experience with metal lathes and mills and potentially have access to them for this project. However, I'd prefer to stay away from them if possible from this project as I'd rather see it completed such that "anyone could do it". Here is an example (did it in about 3 hours this afternoon with a package that can be downloaded for free and the PDF Shawn sent me before he built it) of my current Soulcraft 26" SS. It's a Plowboy with a 19.5" seat tube that Shawn built about 18 months ago. I realize that I've just gone with symmetric chainstays, I was in a hurry to get this finished. I cut some corners on the dropouts as well and left off the disc tab. I've attached the Side and ISO of the frame as well as a built up picture. Note that the XTR Cranks have been "modified" on my drill press in the garage. And, yes, that is a long head tube. This is one of the things that appeals to me about 29ers is that they get me more upright and in a more "traditional" looking frame.

To give you an idea on my documentation of the XTR crank modifications, please review the following thread. It was more of a joke than anything, but I think I'd easily be able to document this project if I took it seriously.
https://dirtdawgs.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9326

In conclusion:

* Working with you on this would be over the top cool
* I have suitable experience with a TIG torch
* I have a strong desire to not only build my own frame, but do so ASAP
* This will be easy for me to document from start (in the computer) to finish (welded metal)

Thanks for the consideration and best of luck to everyone.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
DWF said:
WALT said:

I'm with Walt on this one , Who are anvil bikes anywho ?
Bikes don't build themselves you sure your up for it ?:rolleyes:

:D I really like to see what you came up with , I'll send ya some free tubes but you gotta build a bike from the material I send ya :p now that's a challange :skep:

· Registered
2,384 Posts
jay_ntwr said:
Guys, I'm still interested in doing this and would like to campaign for your votes. Things have changed since my original post (see italics below) and I have sold the Soulcraft 26" and migrated all the parts over to a Vassago Jabberwocky. The Vassago was an inexpensive interim solution for a 29er SS as the shop I build wheels for gave me a great deal on it. I love the Vassago. It hurts my feelings though. It's such a great bike to ride but the mass produced in Asia thing kills me. After getting this idea in my head a year ago, no custom frame from anyone will satisfy me. I want something that no one else can have and that's a frame build by me, for me. It would certainly have similar geometry to the Vassago (minor tweaks) but I've ridden a lot of 29er frames in 2008 to see how they feel/fit and have a good idea of what I'd do. I'm ready to start immediately, just looking for that thing to push me over the edge. Winning this contest and being required to keep you guys updated would certainly be the motivation I need. I've been following this forum and doing other research (even met CBaron a few weeks ago at the North Texas Handmade Bike Show) but still haven't pulled the trigger on getting anything built. I've also met Glenn at Daltex here locally as well as David of Southwest Frame Works and both have shown some interest in helping if I get stuck. I'd almost certainly work with Glenn to do braze ons (if he'll have me) as my experience is in TIG and not brazing.

Walt, I did make a mistake--I thought Dallas Bike Works rep'd you but it was another builder i was thinking of (reference from original post below).

So guys, my hat is back in the ring, or still in it as it were. I'd be honored to accept the challenge if you vote for me and I'm stoked that this is back on, or almost back on. At any rate, even if I don't win, I'll still be following the lucky winner as I've been waiting for nearly a year to learn from that process.

Walt, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to accept this challenge from you. I'm sorry to get in late, I just signed up on this forum last week and saw this post. I know that not only could I get this done, but I'm confident that it would be a very ridable frame and I'd be excited to get started.

My name is Jay and I love bikes. Who on here doesn't? However, I do all my own maintenance and build wheels for several of the local racers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I also build for a local shop (one that happens to rep Waltworks--feel free to call Boyd to check on me) so I know who you are even though you most likely don't know me. Often, folks say that wheel building is the Holy Grail of bicycle maintenance and I suppose it is in the "maintenance" aspect. To me, building my own frame would be the Holy Grail and it's something I've wanted to do for some time.

My project would be simple, a steel 29er single speed. I've been single speeding for a while, I enjoy my geared bike too, but after building up a new 29er fully with gears, I've decided I'd like a new steel SS, hard tail of course. Building my own would be very exciting, so I'd happily accept the challenge should you choose me.

That said, I'd hope you would guide me through the process. I'm sure that I'll have very little problem fitting the tubing and wouldn't need much assistance. I have TIG welded in the past and even welded 4130 tubing for a project in college. I'm certainly not a great welder, but I can make the joints stick--they just aren't pretty. So on the assembly, I think I'm set.

What I'd want guidance for is the process of the frame design. I can't imagine finding a better opportunity to work with someone such as "Walt of Waltworks". If you could assist, even if it's simply mark-ups of a drawing, I'd be all over this. Not only would I learn how to build a frame, I hope to learn how to design my frame to fit me. This is 90% of my motivation to do this. Having you sign off on my geometry or having the opportunity for you to walk me through changes really would be a special thing, perhaps once in a lifetime from a recognized builder. I promise not to take up too much of your time, but I'd sure hope you could spend a little time with me on this.

My background is now in Sales but have my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I am very hands on though and not the "typical engineer" that is all book smarts and no real life experience. The Sales direction has left me wanting to do "engineering projects" for fun and this would be great. I'm well versed in CAD both 2D and 3D. I have experience with metal lathes and mills and potentially have access to them for this project. However, I'd prefer to stay away from them if possible from this project as I'd rather see it completed such that "anyone could do it". Here is an example (did it in about 3 hours this afternoon with a package that can be downloaded for free and the PDF Shawn sent me before he built it) of my current Soulcraft 26" SS. It's a Plowboy with a 19.5" seat tube that Shawn built about 18 months ago. I realize that I've just gone with symmetric chainstays, I was in a hurry to get this finished. I cut some corners on the dropouts as well and left off the disc tab. I've attached the Side and ISO of the frame as well as a built up picture. Note that the XTR Cranks have been "modified" on my drill press in the garage. And, yes, that is a long head tube. This is one of the things that appeals to me about 29ers is that they get me more upright and in a more "traditional" looking frame.

To give you an idea on my documentation of the XTR crank modifications, please review the following thread. It was more of a joke than anything, but I think I'd easily be able to document this project if I took it seriously.
https://dirtdawgs.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9326

In conclusion:

* Working with you on this would be over the top cool
* I have suitable experience with a TIG torch
* I have a strong desire to not only build my own frame, but do so ASAP
* This will be easy for me to document from start (in the computer) to finish (welded metal)

Thanks for the consideration and best of luck to everyone.
How am I supposed to compete with pretty pictures and degrees in engineering? :madman:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.