Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing this post to show off a friend's work. It's a completely free web site (available in Spanish too) to share trail info like pictures, GPS tracklogs, descriptions, that he has built in his spare time just for fun, no ads, completely free, I love the site: http://www.wikiloc.com

The last feature added recently is a way to view GPS rides overlaid on USGS topo maps in 3D in Google Earth (for more info. http://wikiloc.blogspot.com/).

There are other nice websites to share GPS trails, like wikiwalki and tracegps. I like Wikiloc because is way easier than publishing on my own web page or desktop software.

Kevin
btw: this is a previous post I did in the GPS forum but just thought it could be interesting for this forum too

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Unfortunately most of us in this board are too low budget for a fancy GPS. That is except Mada, of course. He buys those types of gadgets, algong with gravity droppers uugh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, I'd rather buy a nice wheel than a GPS (but I'm lucky to have already one :) GPS were quite pricey but they're becoming more and more affordable. But this is of course relative to each one's budget. My GPS is old and cranky but it has helped me discover and ride many interesting routes made from other people. The cheaper the GPS device the more resistant and durable. In my opinion there's no need to go for the latest and expensive ones with big screens for mountain biking.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm a filed engineer and go through GPSs like racers go through tires :)
There are some very very affodable GPS systems nowadays. Even in pesos if bought as "computer accessories" in the states. (Real meaning: Fayuca) Buy online and save :p

EDIT:

For example, my best in class choice would go to Microsoft (not a big fan but it is a reality). They will sell you, for a hundred bucks, the streets and trips software package with a brand new SiRF-III chipset GPS receiver you can easily connect to your laptop or if riding to a palm or pocket PC device. Have to check if streets and trips 2007 is any good for Mexico though. But in the states it works!!!

I am a Garmin fan for recreational and Trimble professionally. If you live in Tamaulipas or Baja California you will get a differential signal through WASS. Dunno about lower/central Mexico. But for open spaces any GPS will do. Even used or refurbished ones well under a hundred bucks.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
545cu4ch said:
Unfortunately most of us in this board are too low budget for a fancy GPS. That is except Mada, of course. He buys those types of gadgets, algong with gravity droppers uugh
I have one :D I started with a small, cheap simple one...but as with everything else after a while you spend way too much money on the toys...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm thinking on Garmin Edge 305, it seems pretty useful and you can find it around $250 US over Ebay, I have use a few GPS for getting Pipe profiles needed in my line of work, right now I'm trying to convice the wife or even the boss to get me a Tissot T-Touch watch, that would be cool :D

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
I sure would like to have on that tracks elevation gain and drop. The problem is that anything capable of doing that is going to be more complicated than I want to deal with even if it fell out of the sky with no charge. It took me a half hour to figure out my $20 Cateye odometer and it only has one button. No joke! I bought a Casio digital camera in December and I still can`t figure it out. My sister-in-law keeps telling me she`ll show me how but so far we haven`t gotten together. I hope it works because I want to post pics on the internet too. Anyway, it had better be a very simple GPS if I ever buy one. For now, I stick with my maps and compass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.