Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am puzzled with an issue I had today while riding.
I noticed at times I would be pedaling having no traction,just like when you spin your pedals back.It would be a 1/6th of a full revolution.
It got to a point where the pedals would just spin with no motion.

I have checked the cassete sprocket and discovered that it had play,I adjusted that,I checked the bearing.They looked fine.
Problem still there.
The unit is a Shimano CS-HG30-81.
Thanks.

:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
just curious...was it really, really cold? lots of time the grease in a freehub body will get very thick in very cold weather and not allow the pawls to spring back up. used to be a huge problem back in the day with mavic wheels, we still see it with every variety of wheel now and then.

·
Registered
77 Posts
crank shaft problem

I left my bike outside and it was proabably 35 Degrees outside that night and then i went to go pedal and it was kinda hard to pedal in the 1:1 gear. it felt like the grease inside it was frozen or very thick. is that what it was:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
yes. most grease in bicycles is synthetic, but even so cold can affect everything. especially things with small moving parts like freehub bodies, pulley wheels on the rear derailleur, etc.

yeah, i hope our man degreased then repacked. and gasoline?? wow. myself, i would choose something a little less volatile.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
hardtailrider 14 said:
I left my bike outside and it was proabably 35 Degrees outside that night and then i went to go pedal and it was kinda hard to pedal in the 1:1 gear. it felt like the grease inside it was frozen or very thick. is that what it was:confused:
Its possible but I doubt it, 35 isnt very cold. I had 3 bikes in the back of my van all last weekend and it was 6 degrees but didnt have any issues. 1 was a sram dual , 1 was a Mavic and 1 was Dtswiss, but you could need to clean and regrease or oil it.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
tskdmz said:
yes. most grease in bicycles is synthetic, but even so cold can affect everything. especially things with small moving parts like freehub bodies, pulley wheels on the rear derailleur, etc.

yeah, i hope our man degreased then repacked. and gasoline?? wow. myself, i would choose something a little less volatile.
or at least did it outside:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.