Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bikes in jeans
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a dirt jumping, urban, freeride etc, hardtail bike. I ride a lot of XC and I have injured my bike and components several times due to jumping off or objects and the lighter weight XC components just cant handle it. I want something that I can abuse a lot more than an XC bike. My problem is that none of the bike shops around here have any aggressive style bikes that I can test so I'm not sure what size of frame I need. I am planning on building up a bike because I love building up bikes. I am just looking for input on how to size up this frame compared to an XC frame. Just by looking at the shape and dynamics of the frames I really cant tell how it would compare to an XC frame. Are there any tips on sizing one up or if its common to add or subtract a few inches compared to an XC frame. I'm about 5'10" and 175 +/- if that helps any.

Well, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
jestep said:
I am looking at getting a dirt jumping, urban, freeride etc, hardtail bike. I ride a lot of XC and I have injured my bike and components several times due to jumping off or objects and the lighter weight XC components just cant handle it. I want something that I can abuse a lot more than an XC bike. My problem is that none of the bike shops around here have any aggressive style bikes that I can test so I'm not sure what size of frame I need. I am planning on building up a bike because I love building up bikes. I am just looking for input on how to size up this frame compared to an XC frame. Just by looking at the shape and dynamics of the frames I really cant tell how it would compare to an XC frame. Are there any tips on sizing one up or if its common to add or subtract a few inches compared to an XC frame. I'm about 5'10" and 175 +/- if that helps any.

Well, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
a dj/urban hardtail should be siggnificantly smaller than a xc bike. I rode a 21'' xc bike, i have a 18'' steelhead. 5' 11'' you need a 16 or 17.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
ooohhhh, i'm telling Binary Visions you stole his avatar...

he will dispose of you properly....
Actually I have had this picture on my desktop for about 4 years, but if someone else is using it, then I'll change it anyway to avoid any personal issue's.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Korrupt said:
a dj/urban hardtail should be siggnificantly smaller than a xc bike. I rode a 21'' xc bike, i have a 18'' steelhead. 5' 11'' you need a 16 or 17.
What does the weight usually run on a complete DJ bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
pretty heavy, depending on what fork/wheels you are running. For instance if you get a DJ I fork that is 7 lbs, but if you get a z1 drop off II like mine, it only weighs 5 lbs. If you get get halo combat wheels they are beefy and heavy. If you get alex rims they are beefy but on the lighter side. but prlly gonna run between 35lbs-40lbs is average.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Korrupt said:
pretty heavy, depending on what fork/wheels you are running. For instance if you get a DJ I fork that is 7 lbs, but if you get a z1 drop off II like mine, it only weighs 5 lbs. If you get get halo combat wheels they are beefy and heavy. If you get alex rims they are beefy but on the lighter side. but prlly gonna run between 35lbs-40lbs is average.
???????? 35-40 punds sounds really heavy to me. Depends of course, on the build but my Chameleon is built up with DH parts all over and Rhyno Lites and still only weighs about 27 lbs. I am running a 5lb Firefly up front which helps but I really think you can build a very durable jumper under 30lbs with little problem.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,728 Posts
jestep said:
Actually I have had this picture on my desktop for about 4 years, but if someone else is using it, then I'll change it anyway to avoid any personal issue's....................
cool spider...

anyway, i'd personally go with a smaller frame than you normally would for XC applications... while freeriding/DJing you will encounter situations where more standover is critical in comparison to XC. and you will be using your legs tons more for absorbing larger hits also, and with a taller frame, you will be finding yourself and "the boys" unexpectedly hanging out with your top tube a lot more often.......

a 35 pounder is an average weight for a purpose built bike... stick with the dual 26"ers....

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
jestep said:
Do you guys use 24" or do you stick with the 26" wheels?
I use 26'ers up and back since I ride xc on mine as well but a 24 rear would be pretty awesome for jumping and park

·
Pro Crastinator
11,728 Posts
namaSSte said:
I use 26'ers up and back since I ride xc on mine as well but a 24 rear would be pretty awesome for jumping and park
running different sized wheels at the same time will make a jumping bike handle funny if you are not experienced enough to control it. you will essentially have two different sized gyroscopes on each end of your bike acting differently.....

·
Bikes in jeans
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont plan on running different sizes, at least not for a while. We do have a pretty nice park, so I may do it in the future, but I'll stick with one size for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.