Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I had to do a creek crossing the other day, and it went from 8 inches to 3 ft deep in no time. I decided to tear down the bearing'd compenents to check everything out and the bearings on my free hub completely seized up! All other bearings on the bike are fine including hubs and BB. Everyting on my bike uses sealed bearings, including the free hub assembly.

Question is, what do I use for a replacement??? I want to make sure I get something with sealed bearins again, but when you go on to JensonUSA, there are like 15 choices from $20-$125. What is a good sealed bearing free hub choice??? I run all XT and Saint Drivetrain on my SC Heckler...

Thanks,
Erik

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
When I used Shimano hubs I always had the freehub bodies seize up or skip all the time. I found that the XT freehub body would last the longest but I was still going through 1 or 2 a year. Since then I've switched over to some Formula hubs with sealed bearings and such and have not had freehub problems since, knock on wood ;)
I don't think Shimano uses sealed bearings in their hubs, I remember them all being loose ball bearings. But I have not had shimano hubs in years now so I could be wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have Azonic Outlaw wheels on this bike and both hub and frehub body have sealed bearings. When I said Shimano, I just meant Shimano style cassette. Looks like some of the Shimano style and branded freehub bodies have both loose and sealed bearings. I was just wondering if there were any particular grade or other brand of free hub I should be looking at. I will probably just buy the XT if it has sealed bearings. Can't really justify XTR Ti for a 33lb AM bike...

Any other input would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,397 Posts
I'm getting the impression you think a sealed bearing makes it waterproof or something. They're not. A cup and cone bearing is sealed to an extent also, but a sealed bearing should more properly be called a sealed cartridge bearing. The question is can your freehub be rebuilt or replaced more easily than replacing the whole hub/wheel, there's little sense in replacing the hub/wheel unless you're unhappy with it for some other reason. Do you have service info for the Azonics? I'm personally not familiar with the hubs Azonic uses in their wheelsets, but I'd first look at the service instructions and see what's involved with tearing the freehub down or replacing it.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
I've never seen a sealed cartridge bearing freehub, nor used one.

..but I'd like to comment that ball-bearing freehubs have one advantage: serviceability

About every 2K miles, I remove my Shimano XT FH, wash it off, remove the rear seal, and soak it in kerosene in a small jar, shaking well. Repeat w/clean kerosene if there's a lot of dirt. (In an old spice jar, it takes very little kerosene) Dry w/compressed air, a bit of light machine oil, and back on the bike.

This has solved the recurrent problem I've had w/FH skipping. ~6K dirty miles on the current FH so far. I never submerge the drivetrain while riding. If I did, I'd do this more often.

jeff

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
ebnash said:
I actually have Azonic Outlaw wheels on this bike and both hub and frehub body have sealed bearings. When I said Shimano, I just meant Shimano style cassette. Looks like some of the Shimano style and branded freehub bodies have both loose and sealed bearings. I was just wondering if there were any particular grade or other brand of free hub I should be looking at. I will probably just buy the XT if it has sealed bearings. Can't really justify XTR Ti for a 33lb AM bike...

Any other input would be appreciated

Thanks
Ok, I was under the impression that you had Shimano hubs.

I know the outlaws have sealed cartridge bearing hubs but am unsure of the style of freehub body. Check with Azonic to see it the freehub is serviceable, otherwise the best thing to do would be remove it and take it to an LBS, they should be able to help you out with a replacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'm getting the impression you think a sealed bearing makes it waterproof or something. They're not. A cup and cone bearing is sealed to an extent also, but a sealed bearing should more properly be called a sealed cartridge bearing. The question is can your freehub be rebuilt or replaced more easily than replacing the whole hub/wheel, there's little sense in replacing the hub/wheel unless you're unhappy with it for some other reason. Do you have service info for the Azonics? I'm personally not familiar with the hubs Azonic uses in their wheelsets, but I'd first look at the service instructions and see what's involved with tearing the freehub down or replacing it.
I never claimed I thought they were waterproof. Only mentioned that they have the same type of bearings that the Hubs use, and they didn;t fail. CHances are the sumbersion didn't cause the total failure.

I have already removeed the freehub ansd detrermined the bearings inside are saealed and seized. They could be pressed out and replaced, but I am having a hard time finding a local machine shop that will take on the challenge and I do not have a hydraulic press.

I am currently waiting for a call back from Azonic since none of the frehubs I have come accross at the LBS will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.