Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy gave me an older Boxxer today. His old roomie took it off of a Santa Cruz and left it behind when he moved. I am putting a bike together for him and that is the payment. Its red and I have no idea what year it is. The travel on it seems to be fine and there are no major problems with it other than it missing the through axel. The stantions are smooth and it seems like the dampening is working. Would it be possible for me to take it apart to inspect to make sure it is legit and not broken or should I take it to my bike shop to do it? I currently have a Kona Dawg Dee Lux and don't think I will be putting the boxxer on that seeing as the frame geometry might not like that. If I was to use it on a future bike, other than replacing the seals with Enduros and changing the oil is there anything else I should look at? Ill try to get some pics up soon.

G

·
The year of that is hard to determine, without a picture. How much travel does it have? I am guessing its going to be a newer one, ie 2002 or 2003 world cup boxxer.

Boxxers are pretty easily to do on your own for the maintence.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might have found out why they left the fork behind. There is a small 3/4" circle of different colored metal on the lower part of the fork leg. The paint is sanded off and it almost looks like there was a hole in the leg that someone filled in or welded on and then used a grinder to make it nice and smooth. Who knows what it is but that is what it looks like. Also there are one or two small pinholes around the edge of the big "hole" that leak a tiny tiny bit of oil when I cycle the fork 4-5 times. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or has anyone ever seen anything like this? When my camera is charged I will take pics and post them so you can see what I mean.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I think you answered your own question

My guess is that somewhere along the way, the fork was damaged, either dented or a hole punched in it as a result of a crash. Someone fixed it by welding the hole, and grinding down the weld to smooth it out. Apparently, the weld wasn't very good, and hence the pinholes.

I don't know what this type of repair does to the structural integrity of the fork, but my guess is that you probably don't want to be barreling downhill with a fork that's had such a repair. I could very well be wrong. Check with someone who knows a lot about frame building and repair.

Clyde

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
KonaHeriot said:
Here are the pics.
Well based off the pics I can tell that it's definitely older than 2002, but not sure the exact year. The 02's were a candy apple red and the 03 & later boXXers didn't come in red.

I can also see why the dude left it behind, it's junk. That thing is beyond repair. May it RIP. :(

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
KonaHeriot said:
What a shame. And to think I had a great find.[/QUOTE

WHy can't you get a new pair of lowers? Or go post somewhere that you need a pair.

Off the top of me head I can think of atleast one person with an old "donor" fork they'd likely sell for a song...

Get to it!

·
Stabbitha
140 Posts
KonaHeriot said:
I thought of that today and started looking. Any idea of how much a new pair would run for? Does anyone know exactly what year this fork is?
Thats a 98-00 era boxxer, 6" travel. Current lower legs should fit fine, but do cost a pretty penny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.