Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are up in Menominee, MI/Marinette, WI for a wedding and they have this awesome program where you can check out a cruiser bike from a couple places around town and use them all day for FREE! I have heard of programs like this in other places like out in Oregon, in Copenhagen, Denmark and more recently in Paris. Not something you would really expect from Upper Michigan but I think more communities need to try this out!

1.) Bike rack with the Yellow Bikes.
2.) My trusty steed for the morning by Green Bay in Lake Michigan. Ya its a Rigid SS, the only way I roll! :thumbsup:
3.) My wife rolling along. A tool kit would be nice to have by the racks, we had no way to raise her seat.
4. & 5.) Out on the Pier.
6.) I am a Mountain Biker after all, I couldn't resist :D

Disclaimer...no helmets, blah, blah, blah, worry bout your own head, we were cruising along not bombing downhills.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Our mayor wants too try this

In albuquerque by our rail runner depots. I think its a great idea, however living here for as long as I have I know the bikes will be stolen in a week.:mad:

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Marquette (also in the U.P.) has something similar. There's a rack of bikes in front of the children's museum that you can pick from. I've not paid much attention recently, but I believe the program still exists. I'll have to look again next time I'm in town.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm all about mountain bikes but I'm not gonna lie, my girlfriends moms cruiser bike is quite fun to ride. That nice comfy seat with the upright position makes for a great time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
How are these things theft-proof? It sounds like a call for people stealing other's bikes to start stealing the city's bikes. I imagine a GPS chip carefully hidden in the frame would help.

If that's solved, this is a potentially great program. The bikes look great, too.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
mondaycurse said:
How are these things theft-proof? It sounds like a call for people stealing other's bikes to start stealing the city's bikes. I imagine a GPS chip carefully hidden in the frame would help.

If that's solved, this is a potentially great program. The bikes look great, too.
You don't think yellow bikes stick out like a sore thumb?

I know a place in Colorado also does this. I want to say Telluride. I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boulder did this a few years back. Eventually all the bikes began to disappear…now they are no longer in use. Awesome to see it working in other towns!!!

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
they still do that?

i remember when they did that in portland a few years back and all the bikes disappeared.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mondaycurse said:

they are locked up and you have to check them out with your DL and phone #. and people need to not be jerks and steal them:D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Tulsa, OK does it as well.

You must have a credit card to use. No attendant necessary. Swipe the card, the system unlocks a bike, you can use it for 24 hours for free, and return to any of numerous locations. If not returned the system charges your card...The bikes are pink here which stick out. The locking system is pretty robust and the bikes are kept in relatively high use areas to prevent theft.

Pretty cool system.

Of course if you use a stolen credit card.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.