Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some planning for a trip to NC a couple weeks from now and looking at options for a mid-way stop to MTB on the way up and down. On my short list are Burke Farm (Yes, I understand I need to be a CAMBO member), Fountainhead and Fredericksburg Quarry.

This post is about the Quarry. I have found a good map at FAMBE website and trail status on FATMUG website. FATMUG also provided insights to the temporary best entrance due to construction.
Fredericksburg Quarry Mountain Bike Trail - Fredericksburg Area Mountain Bike Enthusiasts
FATMUG - Fredericksburg Area Trail Management & User Group affiliated IMBA Chapter

So, I am seeking your local expertise for a route recommendation starting on the gravel road near the baseball field at the end of Wicklow Drive. I'm seeking a recommendation of 12-15 miles (or maybe 3 hours). I realize that pace may vary, but I hope that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to highjack Huff’s thread but any insight to trail conditions for this weekend would be appreciated too. I was down from PA a couple of weeks ago and everything was still too soft.

Hoping for a Saturday ride anywhere that I won't damage the trail.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The last time I rode the trails that run near the River were in pretty bad shape. The FATMUG website indicated that they were drying out but we just received some pretty good rains so they may be wet. As the first poster mentioned you can go to fatmug.org to see the quarry status.

As far as a ride goes in the next couple weeks I would hit the east side (side east of I-95) the hardest. They definitely seem the driest right now. If you come down Wicklow Drive the first trail you should get to is the Monolith trail on your left as you come down the hill. From there you can do the Monolith to the dishwasher to Falls quarry.

At the end of the falls quarry trail you go under 95 through a culvert. From there I bypass the Epiphany trail (pale blue on map) and head up the pins and needles trail to the pool pass and catch the ridge line trail to big bill (go down big bill and not up it).

From there I would find a way to get back to the quarry via the ridge line trail. A lot of this will depend on how much more time you want to spend out there. The section of the usgs trail that heads up the hill to the ridge line should be dry. Remember that the trails are not marked. You will need to figure out where you are going.

There is a second mountain biking group, fambe.org. They have a Facebook page that you may want to ask the same question.

·
Registered
201 Posts
These are my home trails I ride from the front door of my apartment.

Chrisonabike's ride recommendation is great, though you sound like you want a long ride and the full effect of the quarry. You'd be cutting the Ridgeline short if you come down Big Bill...keep going down Ridgeline past Big Bill, hit Owl Loop and try to find the sandy clearing next to the river (marked "fire pit") in the southwest corner of the map. From there you have a few options for how to get back, Beach Trail and USGS Trail will likely still be muddy (and they're boring as hell compared to the rest of the stuff you have ridden at this point of the ride) so I would reccommend turning around and doing Ridgeline in the reverse direction you just came...it's a totally different trail in reverse.

The reality of it: all this sounds great and simple while looking at the map but when you get out there, nothing is marked and it's easy to get lost. You're never far from civilization...just go get lost and enjoy our trails! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+ rep to chrisonabike and jtorlando25. Great insights. I will likely do the extended version. I just have to hope the weather holds and things continue to dry. I have no control over the timing since its driven by a business meeting. But, I feel prepared for the ride now if "the stars can align"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good luck bro! I think you'll enjoy the ride regardless of which path you end up taking. The Fredericksburg trails are a lot different than the rest of Northern VA's trails and by different, I mean BETTER! Kidding of course. You'll have a blast at Fountainhead flowing and catching air..then the quarry is way more backwoods blown out, rooty singletrack the beast coast is more known for.

Wish I could give you some tips on Burke Farm but I've never ridden there!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rode there early this morning in the fresh layer of snow. I was sweating it as to whether the trails would be open, but FATMUG.org had 'em open, so I hit it. Great place and great ride recommendation. Liked it all, but I really liked the Ridge trail. Another cool part was the ride through the tunnel which currently involved riding in a couple inches of running water. Thanks again!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sweet!! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the ride! The tunel is always fun especially at night with the helmet lights on strobe :p It's also fun to show your friends the recorded map of your ride and tell them you rode your bike across I-95.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts