Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for words of wisdom.

My '07 ML has begun to make a creaking noise that is driving me nuts. The creak comes from side to side loading of the rear triangle. It will happen any time I shift my weight, turn the bars, etc.

I've already loosened and retorqued the all the hardware. While doing so, I closely inspected all the linkages, etc. cleaned it all up, put it outside....freakin' creakin'.

Now, I am at a loss. To note, I can bounce the suspension all day, and it will not make the creak. Turn the bars.....creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak. I can reproduce the sound off the bike by holding the bars in one hand, the top of the rear tire with the other and push/pull the tire side to side.

Is it something simple, like shock bushings??? Any other advice????

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
My 05 creaks comes from the shock bushings

My bushings were worn so I would just take them apart and put lithium grease on the surfaces and the creaking would go away, I would have to do this about once a month.. When Push rebuilt my shock they replaced the bushings, now no more creaking.

·
You down with entropy?
340 Posts
I just had a creak in my seatpost/seat tube interface. I had to clean all the grease out and re-lube. So does it make a difference if you are sanding or sitting?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Check the bushings, bearings, hardware. Pull them out, clean, lube, reassemble to spec.

Check the cable stops... they may be dry and creak.

Remove, clean and reassemble the RD hanger... Mine creaks like crazy when it gets dirty

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.....l was thinking it was probably shock bushings.

esilvassy....makes no difference standing or sitting....or even if I'm the biek as I can reproduce the sound standing still.

Guess I'll be pulling it apart, again and do and "extra good" lube while I await shock bushings to arrive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
On a related creaky note, my ML2 is exhibiting a similar problem, but only when compressing the suspension, rather than with side-side movement. I've disassembled, cleaned, greased everything. It happens sitting or standing, on or off the pedals (so unlikely to be post, cranks, pedals). Arrgh. I love the bike, but this is making me crazy. I only have one very very light season on the bike, so nothing should need replacing yet, right?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another vote for cable-stops. I've had this happen numerous times: sometimes only when making vertical movements, or only lateral movements (like turning the bars or shifting your weight side to side) and the sound can carry such that it may appear to come from your seatpost area when its source is actually somewhere up front. One way to easily diagnose is to remove the cable housings from the braze-ons (you'll automatically shift into the small cogs front and back...unless you have high normal rear der.) and go for a short ride and hope that the sound disappears.

Another possibility is the spoke nipple to rim interface. I recently had this happen with my Crossmax XL wheels and solved it with a little lube on each nipple. This was hard to diagnose though, as it was hard to recreate the sound while off the bike. Try another wheel if you have one and see if the creak goes away. Make sure you use a different skewer too!

good luck,
thumb

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good suggestion - on careful investigation, it looks like the cablestops near the forward shock mount are the culprit in my case (no creaking with the cable removed). We'll see if a litle lube in there does the trick....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
creak no more

I went adhad and pulled the shock off, and tore down the rocker arm. Cleaned, lubed, reassembled and torqued. Pulled the cable stops off, cleaned them up.

VIOLA! no more freaking creaking.

To note, upon inpsection the shock mounts were dry dry dry, so I suspect that this was the culprit. Thanks for the advice

Now, all i need to do is find a reason to replace my perfectly funtional xt rear der with a shadow, and I will have a stealthy machine.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Sci Teach said:
I went adhad and pulled the shock off, and tore down the rocker arm. Cleaned, lubed, reassembled and torqued. Pulled the cable stops off, cleaned them up.

VIOLA! no more freaking creaking.

To note, upon inpsection the shock mounts were dry dry dry, so I suspect that this was the culprit. Thanks for the advice

Now, all i need to do is find a reason to replace my perfectly funtional xt rear der with a shadow, and I will have a stealthy machine.
You should not lube the DU Bushings (the ones that go inside the shock's eyelets). They would wear faster.

Also, if you could pull the reducers (the aluminum thingies) by hand, they bushings inside the eyelets are shot and must be replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.