Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up that I had a terrible experience with bikedescent. I received a partial order, (a saddle that broke in the first few weeks), and never received the balance of my order. I repeatedly contacted them over several months and they made empty promises about pending delivery, or ignored my messages, and ultimately skunked me. I had to contest the charge with my credit card provider but they fought back and had the charges re-instated. I will spare you all the details but it is clear that they will go to great lengths to steal your money. I can't believe their website is still up. Stay away.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm sorry to say that the situation you found yourself in is exactly what I would expect after less than a minute browsing that site. At least your experience and post can provide a data point for others looking for info on the site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry to say that the situation you found yourself in is exactly what I would expect after less than a minute browsing that site. At least your experience and post can provide a data point for others looking for info on the site.
You are right. I would like to believe that scammers can't possibly defraud people so openly and get away with it, but they can...

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
703 Posts
What was the justification from your CC to reinstate the charges?

Did you dispute the entire charge, or only the items that have not shipped?

A lot of times if the dispute was not filed correctly, you leave them little choice but to reinstate the charges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was trying to be fair and disputed only part of the charge, for what I had not received. The credit card company (Capital One) sent me a letter saying that "the merchant provided the following information to support the transaction: Notification that goods were as described and received in good condition". I can only assume that they used some kind of delivery confirmation from UPS, FedEx, or USPS (can't remember who delivered it) for the partial delivery, and used that as proof that I had received my order. But again it was partial order. It's a carefully crafted scam...

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
703 Posts
I was trying to be fair and disputed only part of the charge, for what I had not received. The credit card company (Capital One) sent me a letter saying that "the merchant provided the following information to support the transaction: Notification that goods were as described and received in good condition". I can only assume that they used some kind of delivery confirmation from UPS, FedEx, or USPS (can't remember who delivered it) for the partial delivery, and used that as proof that I had received my order. But again it was partial order. It's a carefully crafted scam...
When you contacted them to let them know the details of the delivery and that you didn't dispute the part that DID show up, what did they say?

I RARELY have to dispute a charge, but BoA has been great when I do have to let it get to that point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you contacted them to let them know the details of the delivery and that you didn't dispute the part that DID show up, what did they say?

I RARELY have to dispute a charge, but BoA has been great when I do have to let it get to that point.
The process with Capital One was tedious. I think I had to send it by snail mail. I still have the documentation and, with my complaint, I submitted all my correspondance with the vendor, the scam alerts I was able to dig up online, and a very thorough description of everything that had transpired. When they reinstated the charge and gave the money back to the scammer I was pretty disgusted and quit fighting with them. So you can also count this as a big thumbs down for Capital One.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
703 Posts
The process with Capital One was tedious. I think I had to send it by snail mail. I still have the documentation and, with my complaint, I submitted all my correspondance with the vendor, the scam alerts I was able to dig up online, and a very thorough description of everything that had transpired. When they reinstated the charge and gave the money back to the scammer I was pretty disgusted and quit fighting with them. So you can also count this as a big thumbs down for Capital One.

That sucks...

I also would certainly never do business with Capitol One again if I were you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just a heads up that I had a terrible experience with bikedescent. I received a partial order, (a saddle that broke in the first few weeks), and never received the balance of my order. I repeatedly contacted them over several months and they made empty promises about pending delivery, or ignored my messages, and ultimately skunked me. I had to contest the charge with my credit card provider but they fought back and had the charges re-instated. I will spare you all the details but it is clear that they will go to great lengths to steal your money. I can't believe their website is still up. Stay away.
I'd take more of an issue with my credit card company than this bikedescent site TBH.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's an interesting perspective. Bikedescent is actively stealing money, Capital One is enabling them by looking the other way...
Capital One is legally obligated to provide an explanation as to why your claim was denied if you request one, so if you haven't already done so, you'll want to contact them and get it. Then file a police report (yes, you can call your local police department for an online crime) and report to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). Then file an appeal with Capital One (again, they're legally obligated to allow) and attach police report and any other supporting documentation, such as email correspondence with BikeDescent. If they deny the second claim, you'll want to file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFBP) who has 30 days to respond. Again, if declined you can file an appeal. If that's declined you can hire an attorney, but at that point you might just wanna write it off as a loss, but that's up to you.

If you need more help feel free to reach out and we can exchange emails. I'm not a lawyer but I had a lot of experience with fraud claims at my previous job. Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also, that website was started in approx May 2020 but has reviews from 2018 which is suspicious. No links to an Instagram, Twitter or any social media is also highly suspicious.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last one, says Ireland but they're in China ... Google "bikedescent" and you'll see a ton of negative reviews that include supporting documentation you can send to Capital One. I just spent 10 minutes looking and there's a lot out there. So even if you receive what you ordered, it's gonna be fake.

** Another thing you can do is take the product(s) you did receive, take a pic and send to the real manufacturer asking if it's real or not. I did this with a Crank Brothers multi-tool and not only did they respond, but they provided a side-by-side comparison (I also saw this on an Amazon review so they must do it fairly often). You can also use that when submitting appeal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts