Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring, after about 9 months I had an XT freewheel from and XT/Rhynolite set go out on me. I ordered a new one but I'm still waiting.

In the meantime, I ordered a discount Deore hub to replace the OEM hub that came with my bike. Today, while climbing my drivetrain started "skipping". But it was in the middle ring and the 34T. I tried running the thing backwards and the freewheel had locked up.

It seems that while climbing, I managed to mechanism over the ratchets. The thing freed up just enough to finish my ride. Like the previous two freewheels I killed the thing started grabbing chain intermittently and then releasing. I know what is coming.

So my question is ... is anyone else having these problems? I'm 6'3", 280#. Can I really be pushing the wheel THAT hard so that I'm trashing my freewheels? If so, what manufacturer makes stronger freewheels. This is getting old. I might be able to get some replacement for the Deore hub, but my Rhynolite wheelset was bought last year and I do not have a receipt ... grrrrr!!!!!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
You could just buy a new freewheel rather than the whole hub, or better still get the morningstar freehub buddy, a new seal and clean it and re-lube it. This has always made the freehub run smoothly and I get a few years out of it.

Wombat

·
Registered
155 Posts
you can buy a new one every week, but.....

Hey Ho freehub, you can buy a new one every week, but the last is no better than the first until you get a good lube inside thatsensitive walnut - especially the asian Freehubs.
The morningstar "freehubBUDDY" is theonly tool to get good grease inside to the 50 bearings inside. they make lubes and replacement (better sealing and reusable ) dustshields as well.
there are other, stronger brands but be prepared to pay alot.( and they need reg maint as well. ) Your 280# is pushing things to the limit- especially if you ride hard so give your drivetrain the best you can;) .

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question ...

I slapped my head as when I re-removed a messed up freehub to do a "transplant" from a new XT hub I received in the mail. I discovered that I had pedaled on that thing so hard that I stripped the spline holding the freehub body onto the hub. I had previously tried to do a transplant from a Deore and came to the conclusion that they were incompatible.

Question ... are all Deore level freehub bodies compatible??? If so, which model is the "toughest". If an lx is tougher than the XT I'm all over it. I could care less about the weight.

I'm down to 3 rear wheels and one working freehub and one with a stripped out hub.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yes, it is possible and reasonable that Shimano hubs are not strong enough for you. I gave up on them after destroying two freehub mechanisms within a month on my trailbike. There are several of us big guys out there who destroy Shimano hubs, and there are several skinny little people who never have a problem with them and will belittle you and your riding ability. Pony up for a good strong hub and you'll be fine. My favorite is the Hadley classic 36pt engagement model, absolutely bulletproof. There is a reason most of the top-shelf DH bikes run Hadley 36pt rear hubs. Other good options are the Hugi FR or Hope. I stay away from Kings, as my ISO disc rear hub wouldn't stay tight (a known problem on some of them).

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
Question ... are all Deore level freehub bodies compatible??? If so, which model is the "toughest". If an lx is tougher than the XT I'm all over it. I could care less about the weight.
I think all shimano freehubs are interchangeable. I have used freehubs from STX-RC, Deore (m-525) LX, Alvio and XT on XT and Deore hubs: they all fit properly.

Wombat

·
Registered
155 Posts
its cheaper to service the shimano's first...

If bucks are a problem, try getting good lube into your shiamano units- maybe all they need is a good quality lube to perform well. another item is water- if you play in water alot you are stretching the abilities of most any FH. Move your maintenace scheduale up when wet. The morningstar freehub buddy is the only way to get a quality lube inside to the 50 bearings. They make a great lube also.:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.