Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, it seems like every one's talking of souping up their Reign. So post you're 6.7" modified Reign right here.
What's on it? Pros & cons? What earlier mods have you tried?
I'm mounting a rp23 on my 05 frame, this week. Took the swinger off this weekend, and cleaned 'er all up. Waiting on the bushings from Fox.
I'll post when I've got it back together again.
D-

·
Registered
326 Posts
05 Reign

OK here's my 05 Reign with 07 Marzocchi Roco Air 7875X2.25. l like the feel of the new rear shock since it doesnt have any SPV

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle

·
Registered
326 Posts
These are 2006 Marzocchi 150mm Z1SL with a 538mm A2C. which puts the 05 Reign at 67degree HA. pretty much comparable HA of the 2008 Demo8. If you're interested on the Marzocchi 66 there are 150mm versions of it out there but its really hard to find.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hm, makes the Totems not overly raked out, they are 565mm though, but according to my calculations 535mm (Fox 36) makes that model Reign 68.7deg HA, and 565mm makes it 67.2deg HA.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I based my HA on my friends stock 2008 Demo 8 which I put the bikes side to side that's how I determined I have a 67deg HA on a 538mm A2C

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
takai said:
Hm, makes the Totems not overly raked out, they are 565mm though, but according to my calculations 535mm (Fox 36) makes that model Reign 68.7deg HA, and 565mm makes it 67.2deg HA.
New 36's are 545mm A2C. The older 150mm versions were 535mm.

That's what I had on my reign and it was really nice. Keep in mind the taller fork like a 66 is going to also lift the BB height.

EB

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah, interesting. So i should be doing 545mm comparisons too. Which is ok, because i have to do that for the Lyriks anyway.

The BB height will increase, but not by too much due to the shortness of the chainstays, and its pretty easy to model. Either way its lower than many DH bikes. Plus having a higher BB will be better for some of the rocky rooty tracks around here.

·
Registered
294 Posts
08 Reign X1 with Marzocchi 66, 50/50's, DH riser bars, short stem and i just ordered a set of 2009 shimano saint cranks since i bent the **** outta my race face rides:D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet lookin' ride. That's the same model I'm Frankinizing. Couple quick questions.
A2C=Arch 2 center of axel?
Do differant forks w/ the same travel have much differant A2C?
How's it pedal up? Done many longer rides?
What's the red cable housing on the rear triangle, and where'd ya' get it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
dmciivt said:
Sweet lookin' ride. That's the same model I'm Frankinizing. Couple quick questions.
A2C=Arch 2 center of axel?
Do differant forks w/ the same travel have much differant A2C?
How's it pedal up? Done many longer rides?
What's the red cable housing on the rear triangle, and where'd ya' get it?
A2C = Axle to Crown. Yes different fork manufacturers have different A2C with the same travel
Ive done many long climb with this setup and it works just fine! there's a minimal amount of bob since I dont have SPV but you will not notice it on climbs.
the red cable housing is part of SRAM kevlar cables.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
well, why not :thumbsup:

built up from a bare frame

with respect to fork angles, the 555mm a2c of my 66SL feels quite nice at proper sag. I really want to put a boxxer on it, but I don't have the money right now. sadly, the fork is the only thing I don't like about the bike :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Poor description

So I did a poor job of describing what I was meaning by frankenreign. I should have said I meant regular 6" Reigns(usually 07 & earlier[pre-reign x] not necessarily) that have swapped thier 2" stoke shock, for 2 1/4" stroke shock(giving 'em 6.7" travel). Sorry for the poor start.
I was tying to hear peoples take on thier set ups.
D-

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
GiantCHaDSTeR said:
I based my HA on my friends stock 2008 Demo 8 which I put the bikes side to side that's how I determined I have a 67deg HA on a 538mm A2C
the demo 8's since like 07 or even 06 maybe have been downhill race bikes. 64-65 degree HA. Your reign does not have the same HA. Or your friend got a stock 2005 demo 8 on closeout in 2008.

sorry to derail, back OT

·
Registered
326 Posts
William42 said:
the demo 8's since like 07 or even 06 maybe have been downhill race bikes. 64-65 degree HA. Your reign does not have the same HA. Or your friend got a stock 2005 demo 8 on closeout in 2008.

sorry to derail, back OT
I'm sorry Its totally my fault.. I just check with my buddy.. his bike was an 08 Demo 7 I with 66 RCV. Freakin Demo 8 and Demo 7 looks a like to me :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
dmciivt said:
So I did a poor job of describing what I was meaning by frankenreign. I should have said I meant regular 6" Reigns(usually 07 & earlier[pre-reign x] not necessarily) that have swapped thier 2" stoke shock, for 2 1/4" stroke shock(giving 'em 6.7" travel). Sorry for the poor start.
I was tying to hear peoples take on thier set ups.
D-
Ah, so you're being a snob and un-inviting teh Reign Xs?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts