Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to make some of these for a while and finally got around to it the other day. I bought $10 worth of fleece and vinyl from the leftover bin at Joanne Fabrics (I narrowly escaped getting caught up in a scrapbooking class). The biggest challenge was figuring out how to use my wife's sewing machine without major injury, but after a 3 hour battle with the beast I came out unscathed with a new pair of fleece lined, vinyl covered pogies. Pretty ugly, but they ought to keep my hands from freezing.

I had my first ride with them today and they are incredibly warm and do not constrict hand movement at all. They rotate around the bars (and barends) so they follow my arms whether I am sitting or standing up mashing. I rode for 2 hours this afternoon with no gloves at all and stayed toasty warm the whole time.

Attachments

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Nice work. I was curious about these. I hate wearing winter gloves. When it is this cold I wear latex gloves under my gloves to stay super warm. These look like they would kick ass. No gloves at all? I would be done with that in a heartbeat.

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
indyfab25 said:
I hate wearing winter gloves.
That was the main reason I tried them. When it is really cold I can't wear gloves because my fingers just get too cold (I had some frostbite awhile back and I suspect I lost circulation). So I have to resort to big mittens and they feel too awkward.
Looks like friday is going to be the true test, High temp for Laconia is forecast to be 6.

I got the idea from here:
http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/handprotection.htm
about halfway down page.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.