Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm after some advice/knowledge. I've had a poke around on the Fox service site, but can't make heads or tails of the multitude of diagrams and part numbers.

I've got two sets of Fox forks, and want to do some swapping around to make one set - I've got 2012 34 TALAS 29 (110 - 140mm, FIT), and 2014 32 Float 29 (120mm, FIT).

I want to put the 120mm Float 32 internals into the 34 chassis (lowers) to make a 34 Float 120. I'd love to think this will be a simple swap, but before I get elbow deep in fork oil I figured it might pay to check to see if anyone has any knowledge of such a conversion.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would think this would work. Doing some quick research, it looks like the 140mm and 120mm 34 Float 29 forks both use the same size main air seal and the same retaining ring on the negative cup, which would lead me to believe the air chamber has the the same ID and probably uses the same negative cup.

One thing I would look for is that the design of the groove/seat for the air shaft negative cup is the same on both forks before you go swapping stuff. I know Fox has fooled around with a few of their negative cup designs in the 2012-2014 time frame.

Also, make sure the 120mm damper stays with the 120mm, and likewise for the 140mm damper/spring assembly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - I hadn't thought to compare main air seal sizes. I'll post back with results.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The reason I checked that first is because on 32mm forks, 140/150mm travel models have thicker walls in the stanchions than the others to make them stiffer/stronger. This means different threads for the top cap, different air piston, different air seal, different negative cup, etc. However, it looks like on 34mm forks this discrepancy doesn't occur.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey.
First post on here, so Hi to all, and apologies for crashing a Fox thread with an RS question, but it's a similar vein.

This is sort of a theoretical question that could become practical if it's easy enough to do, but I'll brace myself for the barrage of "Dumb idea" and "Just buy a longer fork" responses. I'm happy just to improve my knowledge of part (in)compatibility.

What are the key different parts just to increase travel within a particular model range (eg: Revelations)? Uppers? Lowers? Internals? All/some/none of the above? How are they different to the standard items?

In a similar way that you used to be able to convert relatively easily between a 970/1071/1275 engine on the early Mini Cooper S by swapping pistons/cranks/rods (simplistically put, before you shout "You also need..."), is it possible to improve the travel of a fork beyond its original spec by mixing and matching just the key components from the same/similar model with longer travel, more cheaply than just buying a longer fork?

For instance, could a 140mm Revelation be increased to 150 or even 160mm with some judicious part interchanging ? Or an old Pike? I know that some RS forks use carry-over parts from previous models (Rev to Sektor, old Pike to Rev).

I understand the spacer tavel adjustment thing to reduce travel from the fork's maximum, I was thinking of changing the more structural components, such as the Uppers/Crown/Steerer assembly, or the lowers, to up the travel. So for an old coil Pike with 32mm stanchions that originally had 140mm, swap in a Rev 150mm UCS assy and longer spring from maybe a Lyrik, and Bingo (or Ambulance), a 150mm Pike. Probably not that simple though, as I'm sure someone will be helpful enough to point out (with corrections please....)

Suggestions also for a 160mm Frankenfork, please. Would 32mm uppers be too twangy? I have an old Pike and '09 Revelations on the shelf, both 32mm.

I await your wisdom.
Or riducule....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts