Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching Frankenforks, so first off THANKS for all the great info, and congrats on turning me into another scheming bike tech junkie!

If possible, I want to take 2 perfectly good forks, and make 2 DIFFERENT perfectly good forks….typical me.

The candidates are a 2006 Marz Drop Off 1, W/130mm, ETA, RV, 20mm lowers. and a 2007 Marz All Mtn 2, W/150mm, ETA, RV, Q/R lowers. One I own, and one I can get cheap.

I want to swap the lowers, so that I have the longer travel with the 20mm lowers, and then later at some point, I'll be able to do the Z1 RC2 upgrade to it. It might seem like a pointless swap, but it'll work out well for my bikes if I can pull it off.

Can anyone tell me if this is a simple direct swap? Or is it even feasible?

I build my own bikes, and I'm researching Frankenforks, so I think I've got the basic info (tools, techniques, etc) I'm not afraid to tear the forks down and find out for myself, but if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as parts needed, tips, what to avoid, etc, that would be great.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
As far as I know you shouldn't have any problems. I've swapped lowers on other marz forks, grant they were both 32mm. I know some of the older style lowers of the Z1 (03-04) can't be swapped with the all mountain series. But I would think you are good to go, if you just swap the lowers. I think the only thing that you couldn't swap is the ETA's, since they are a set travel.

Edit:
Thinking about it, you shouldn't have any problems with the swap. Since both forks use the same damping system. Where problems arrive, is when swapping with older forks with older style dampers and new dampers. The machaning inside on some models doesn't allow room for the new dampers.

Bunk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
farmboybunk said:
As far as I know you shouldn't have any problems. I've swapped lowers on other marz forks, grant they were both 32mm. I know some of the older style lowers of the Z1 (03-04) can't be swapped with the all mountain series. But I would think you are good to go, if you just swap the lowers. I think the only thing that you couldn't swap is the ETA's, since they are a set travel.

Edit:
Thinking about it, you shouldn't have any problems with the swap. Since both forks use the same damping system. Where problems arrive, is when swapping with older forks with older style dampers and new dampers. The machaning inside on some models doesn't allow room for the new dampers.

Bunk
Thanks FBB, They both have the ETA on the left leg, and RV on the right leg, so I THINK I'm ok, but can anyone confirm?

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
chanorama said:
Thanks FBB, They both have the ETA on the left leg, and RV on the right leg, so I THINK I'm ok, but can anyone confirm?
Ya you are fine. All I was saying is that to get the correct travel, you would also have to swap out the ETA. While everthing else is interchangable between the two different travel setting. Since the ETA's are a set at either 130mm or 150mm, unless you have one with TAS travel adjust too.
Maybe I am making this more difficalt then it needs to be. You could probable just swap out the ETA cartridge from both forks, since it determines the travel. Unless the stanchions on the 130mm model are shorter then the 150mm model, but a lot of the time they are the same.
Bunk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Bunk. I didn't realize that the stanchions might be the same length, I assumed that they'd be longer. I do remember a post by warp that said I could use a 150 RC2 cart for a 130 fork if I didn't use the coil, so now I can see how that's possible.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear or if I'm missing something, but right now, all I want to do is unbolt the lowers,swap 'em and leave everything else much where it is. They have the same features in the same places, so I guess I'm most concerned with how the lowers willl bolt on. In other words, will they bolt on with the existing hardware that I'll have, or will I have other mods to do? (new nuts, etc) My goal is to get 2 usable forks out of what I'll have, hopefully with no/minimum new parts.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Try first with the carts out...

This is what you get when you try to use the 2006 AM1 lowers onto the 2005 AM1 uppers. :rolleyes:

I don't think you could have any other problems. Foot nuts are just the same.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks warp, I did see posts about the 06 AM lowers, how they dont have the footing that 05 did. I guess its time to frankenforked over...I'll just do it and see..;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
chanorama said:
Thanks warp, I did see posts about the 06 AM lowers, how they dont have the footing that 05 did. I guess its time to frankenforked over...I'll just do it and see..;)
Hey, you have the donors there... Would be rude not to. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.