Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is. Finally finished it tonight just in time for the rain. I am happy with my hodge-podge build, it feels like it is gonna do exactley what I want this bike to do. So I am pumped. Not sure what esle to say because, I am relieved I have it ready for tomorow morning, my basement is a wreck(needs cleaned and tools put away), and I have to drop a duece.

Attachments

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DirtDiggler said:
Looking nice !
So it looks like you have it set up to do some freeriding ?
What fork is that ?

I had my MKIII setup with a 66SL at one point, it felt really nice.
Yeah, some very light-ish FR. The fork is a Drop-Off III 150mil, it was laying around from another IH I have. I Never used that Drop-Off, when I got that IH I took the drop-off off and put a Travis 180 on that one. How did your MKIII work for FR. I think this bike feels(sitting in my basement) real nice for ripping on singletrack and drops to trannies. I have no intention to use it as a hucking bike, I have 2 other bikes for that, and this wasn't designed for it. But I do believe I can ride it aggressivley on the trail, and hit some flowy drops and jumps(not DJ). Thanks for the compliment:thumbsup:

·
Registered
717 Posts
It worked great for light freeride but I don't go that big so I was bordering on 'all mountain'. The 5" of travel feels like much more on this bike. The biggest drop to tranny was about 7 feet and it handled like butter. Looks like a fun bike, have fun !

·
Registered
217 Posts
Franken-bike my a**! It's much too slick a build to call it that. You may have just built the perfect beast.

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
I like the build too, the bike will be perfect for what you want. Dirtdigger said it well, the 5" feels like more. I ride XC with a few drops thrown in on must rides, 3'-4' drops to flat. Do ever remember feeling like I had bottomed out. And I am 215lbs with gear on. Very smooth bike. What do you have for a rear shock? Did you change that too? Enjoy.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock Sport frame shock; Fox Float "R", rebound adjustment only. Thats fine, I don't even use the propedal on my other FS bikes. Thanks, for the response. Oh, yeah, I have noticed it feels bottomless. I own a Marin Mt. Vision as a fs XC bike, and that bike has Marin's "VPP" suspension and that too feels bottomless(4"). I gotta say though, that the Marin is FAR plusher and climbs better, but we are nitpicking here. If I am really into going out for a climb I will ride a HT. I am very happy with this MKIII, I rode it in some crisco sat morning for about 20 miles, oooooohhhhh baby this bike is FUN! I am really excited about it. I look forward to putting a ton of miles on this bike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Interesting, I have heard really good things about the Marin suspension design. It always gets good reviews. I think Marin has been set back by ugly design in the past but their newer bikes are definately looking much nicer. Just curious, do you feel pedal feedback on your Marin or is it nuetral ?

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DirtDiggler said:
Interesting, I have heard really good things about the Marin suspension design. It always gets good reviews. I think Marin has been set back by ugly design in the past but their newer bikes are definately looking much nicer. Just curious, do you feel pedal feedback on your Marin or is it nuetral ?
Whats pedal feedback? Just kidding, no, I do not feel any kickback on that bike. I am a clydesdale and when I get on that bike I am always amazed about how plush it rides and tracks on the trail. Much stiffer in turns than the mkiii also. But, that Marin is insane on treacherous climbs, it will wheelie if you don't weight the front enough, other bikes will just give up and slide, but that marin velcros itself to the terrain and digs in. Now, I would probably say the the MKIII sprints better. I spend a lot of time a certain LBS and they carry Trek, GF, and Moots, some other stuff but anyways, I own several GF's and I have test rode several treks and GF just from my relationship with the guys there, we all ride together, but anyways, up until now I have never sat on any FS XC that could compare to that Marin. They were all to firm, or not PROGRESSIVE, or hop skipped and jumped nervously down the trail. The new Trek ABP FS are onto something, but I would say, that they are just not quite there yet. But leaps and bounds above the previous Trek FS offerings(incuding GF). PLus, I don't know if I said this earlier, but I have NEVER felt the bottom of that marin. But I never abused it either, I use that bike for its intended purpose, no frisky riding. Marin said on the phone it could take some, but I have other bikes for that kind of riding, i use the Marin for LONG XC explorations or longer, skankier XC races, otherwise I race on a 29er HT. Here is a pic it has been setup for super-d racing, but never got used I busted my arm real bad on a step-up followed 8' to tranny drop last april, and I just raced XC only in 07. Rode FR in 07, but no super-d comps. This week I am going to take it back to XC only(triple ring lighter cranks, reduce the travel in the fork from 110 back to 100, longer stem, change the tires, etc).

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts