Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, if I stay in the saddle for any more than 5 minutes the boys start to go numb. I have a seat with one of those soft areas in the center, but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone have any luck with gel shorts? It is not only the numbness, but I really hurt after an hour or so.

Thanks,

6 foot 250 lbs.

Ken.

·
Who's that guy?
233 Posts
Seat Angle

I have had the same issue in the past and let me tell ya, it's pretty scary when things become TOTALLY numb down there.

For me, all I needed to do was angle the front of the seat down a bit more.

I don't know if that will work for you, but it did for me.

Dave

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
Tilting is a slippery slope...

Remember, for most XC riding, your saddle should be level or even slightly tilted up. This keeps your weight back on your sit bones. If you get it tilted too far down, then your weight transfers to your hands. Pretty soon your wrists and shoulders hurt, and your fingers go numb. If your saddle is level, or close to it, I'd try lowering the saddle just a bit...1/8 of an inch at a time.

Darkan said:

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually my saddle is pretty much perfectly level and I ride it a bit lower to help with the technical sections (keeps me from flying over the bars).

I supplement MTB with a little road here and there and have tried to point it down there, but found myself just inching up the saddle and having the same problem. Not that riding in the woods or on a MTB is anywhere close to my ride bike or position, but...

Ken.

mtnbiker62 said:
Remember, for most XC riding, your saddle should be level or even slightly tilted up. This keeps your weight back on your sit bones. If you get it tilted too far down, then your weight transfers to your hands. Pretty soon your wrists and shoulders hurt, and your fingers go numb. If your saddle is level, or close to it, I'd try lowering the saddle just a bit...1/8 of an inch at a time.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
A couple of Tips:

1) Make sure the padding in the bike shorts you have are covering your sit bones. I have had shorts that did not do this and on long rides is really hurt.

2) Everyone is shaped differently and accodingly, different saddles work better for different people. In my case, I found nirvana with Terry Fly saddles. WTB and Fizik also make good saddles. Try a couple of different ones to see if any help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
perhaps the seat lowering thing is hurting you. Me, I keep weight distributed between pedals and seat, to an extent, but if the seat is lower, and your knees are bent, you'll very likely be resting most of your weight on the saddle to keep your knees from gettign tired.

·
Registered
555 Posts
sometimes its just the saddle type

The life cycle at the local ymca has a really high quality saddle (brand unknown) as an option, and this saddle numbs me like novocaine in about 3 minutes flat. In 30 years of riding road and mtn bikes, no saddle has ever done me like that one. WTB saddles from $9.99 to $99.99 treat frank and the boys well IMHO Jim

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Serfas Rx Saddle

ken50397 said:
All, if I stay in the saddle for any more than 5 minutes the boys start to go numb. I have a seat with one of those soft areas in the center, but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone have any luck with gel shorts? It is not only the numbness, but I really hurt after an hour or so.

Thanks,

6 foot 250 lbs.

Ken.
Try the Serfas Rx saddle. It's completely split and transfers all weight AWAY from your perennium (or taint) and leaves a place for the boys to hang.

www.serfas.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I am going to try many of the things you have mentioned. I find MTB is better because of the time out of the saddle, but it just kills me on any fireroad sections or road. I will look into different shorts and saddles.

I used to keep my seat higher, but lowered it, and I didn't notice a change at that point. Maybe my @ss is just too big and put pressure on, but hey, I gotta exercise to get down right?

Thanks,

Ken.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darkan said:
I have had the same issue in the past and let me tell ya, it's pretty scary when things become TOTALLY numb down there.

Dave
I tried the seat down but didn't expect much as I thought I tried it in the past. Maybe I went too much in the past, because this time it made it much better. I was in the woods, so I didn't sit too much, but I was definately much more comfy. I will have to try a road ride.

Thanks,

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts