Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes.... if you want to keep that pretty new mojo looking pretty after a few months...

while you at it also get the skirt ..protects the rear links from mud...

A great product for a great bike

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
DH_WP said:
Yes.... if you want to keep that pretty new mojo looking pretty after a few months...

while you at it also get the skirt ..protects the rear links from mud...

A great product for a great bike
For a man bike is there a kilt is available? It is the mojo, not the tranny....

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's a precut piece of rubber that you attach on the seat tube just below the fd. It fits perfectly into the rear triangle and stops mud from getting at the lower link. I love mine. Available from Fishboy.

Regarding Fishboys frameskin, is it worth it. Last summer a large rock kicked up and hit my downtube with a vengence, sounded like a gun shot. Actually cut through the frameskin but orange paint is okay. Well worth it to me.

Cheers,
Straw

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
pono39 said:
Is is worth it? I didn't use it on my first MOJO. I should be receiving my new MOJO this week and wanted to get some input if it is worth installing. Thanks!
Seems like everyone likes to keep things positive here, but I was honestly a little disappointed in the Frameskin kit. I expected more coverage. I would like the piece for the downtube to be longer and wider. I guess that's what I would like for pretty much all the pieces -- longer, wider, more coverage. It is easy to install and protects what it covers, but it just wasn't what I expected. There have been other posts about protective film that you can buy and cut yourself. If I wanted to protect another bike, that's the route I would go. Lots of people post about how happy they are with it, so clearly there are different opinions. I'd like more coverage and wish I had just bought a sheet of the protective film and done it myself.

·
Registered
575 Posts
MultiRider said:
Seems like everyone likes to keep things positive here, but I was honestly a little disappointed in the Frameskin kit. I expected more coverage. I would like the piece for the downtube to be longer and wider. I guess that's what I would like for pretty much all the pieces -- longer, wider, more coverage. It is easy to install and protects what it covers, but it just wasn't what I expected. There have been other posts about protective film that you can buy and cut yourself. If I wanted to protect another bike, that's the route I would go. Lots of people post about how happy they are with it, so clearly there are different opinions. I'd like more coverage and wish I had just bought a sheet of the protective film and done it myself.
If you have the time and patience you can do it yourself. It is at least a six hour job to make your patterns, cut and apply the stuff. It isn't easy, at least not for me. From the Frameskin web site the coverage looked good to me and similar to what I did. Just another opinion.:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Slow

miles wadsworth said:
If you have the time and patience you can do it yourself. It is at least a six hour job to make your patterns, cut and apply the stuff. It isn't easy, at least not for me. From the Frameskin web site the coverage looked good to me and similar to what I did. Just another opinion.:)
There is no way it should take you 6 hours to put protection tape on your mojo unless you are making patterns in drawing package on a computer and then using a vinyl cutter to cut them. I did my bike in a little over an hour by hand years ago before frameskins were available. I had to go back a do a couple of areas that I didn't think would get chipped but started to show some signs of wear after a few rides. The strangest one was scratching the inside of the rear triangle with the disc while taking the wheel on and off. This only became a problem when I started running 2x9, 22/34 front and 11-25/26 cassette and a short cage derailleur. It allowed the chain to be very short and it makes it harder to get the rear wheel in and out. It does help to make paper patterns of some of the more curvy areas, such as around the lower link, rear triangle but even this is not difficult.

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
miles wadsworth said:
With 2" wide racers tape, more like 1/2 - 1 hour. It fits most everything without cutting to shape. Just fold it around corners where it is too wide and cover two surfaces at once. Easy to cut also.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Not a fan of the N-Style clear background tape.Their shroud graphics & tape have the worst adhesion of them all in my experience.Factory Effex is okay, but the best one I've found & the one I used on my Mojo SL & KTM dirt bike is from One Industries.com.Any dirt bike shop can order that in for you if they don't have stock.Get the bike in a warm room,prep the frame with alcohol,then use a hair drier to heat the frame & tape.Do not let your fingers touch any of the glue, leave some of the paper backing on the tape & slowly work the tape down & gradually working the paper backing off the tape.This method really helps for having a bubble free skin.If you have a bubble put a pin hole or two through the tape, heat it up & work the bubble out.Bigger bubbles may require a small slit with a razor blade.If some of the shapes are a little off once on the frame take a small brand new excacto blade & cut through the tape but not the frame, you can then peel off the unwanted tape - heat up the tape before peeling it off the frame.You need a steady hand to do this so practice by sticking some tape down on an old frame, fork,etc to see how its done.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
For downtubes I prefer the 4" wide ISC Racer's tape, versus the 2" stuff. Fits a Mojo downtube great. You can also cut pretty much any other odd shape you want for other frame parts from the wider stuff too, versus a sheet of film. A roll of 2" and a roll of 3" or 4" will do it all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.