Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a frame builder capable / willing to replace the head tube on a Pugsley?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where are you located? Do you have any local frame builders? Steel is comparatively easy to work with and fix. Maybe talk to some local bike shops who might be able to reference someone?

·
will rant for food
3,975 Posts
If it does end up that you can't get a repair for less than the cost of a new frame, consider donating your frame to Cyclocarbon, he'll do something fun with it.

Unless you're after something like a drastically different spec'd head tube on an otherwise functional frame, and you're doing something wicked, in which case spill the beans!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I am trying to figure out how I can keep my Alfine, and run a Bluto. Buying a new frame, unless it is custom, won't do it. I will contact Bilenky, as they are relatively close.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I think you're going to be looking at replacing the downtube and the head tube to make it fully compatible with the Bluto. Pretty sure there are other companies making offset frames that will work better with the Bluto. Considering you would probably be looking at close to $400 to get a Pugs modified for your purpose.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I am trying to figure out how I can keep my Alfine, and run a Bluto. Buying a new frame, unless it is custom, won't do it. I will contact Bilenky, as they are relatively close.
It's an interesting idea, but there's a huge difference in length between a Bluto and the Surly fork, so there's bit more to this than meets the eye first up.

Have you sketched out the result?

There's lots of us who want to keep our hub gears and who aren't being catered for by the new models unless we are prepared to compromise on tyre width.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it will be easier to "Steer down" from the tapered steer tube to a 1 1/8" is not super easy but a competent machine shop can make you a new steer tube out of 7075 and install it on the Bluto triple clamp.

Again just a alternative..
I missed your reply, this is an interesting idea...I will try to find someone locally to do it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts