Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most of you wrap your bike with something like invisiframe or ridewrap. I’m on the fence. On the one hand it’s just a bike and it will get scratch with its intended use. On the other hand I should protect something I just spent a bunch of money on.

Also any places in the Bay Area that you’ve had do it for you and how much was it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Do most of you wrap your bike with something like invisiframe or ridewrap. I’m on the fence. On the one hand it’s just a bike and it will get scratch with its intended use. On the other hand I should protect something I just spent a bunch of money on.

Also any places in the Bay Area that you’ve had do it for you and how much was it.

Thanks
Talk to Ron at East Bay Auto Spa. He does both Ceramic Pro and clear wraps on bikes. Not sure about pricing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had my bike done at Frame Up Bikes in Pleasant Hill. Think I paid ~$200 to do most of the frame. Very happy with the finished product, can hardly tell the wrap is there.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ron of East Bay Auto Spa is also one of the owners of Frame Up.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I think it only make sense if you sell your bike every year. Cosmetic condition affects value in that case. After a couple years, the overall depreciation is too great to matter. I have my doubts that frame protection vinyl actually protects much more than cosmetic paint chips.

I don't wrap my bike as I ride it into the ground and then give it to a friend or kid usually.

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
I spent a lot of time putting matte 3M film on my matte carbon bike. After looking at it for a while, I don't like it. The matte film is still somewhat shiny compared to the frame, and the edges aren't super well cut. (by myself, of course) I suppose it's worth it if it offers some protection.

A precut kit would save time and look cleaner on the edges anyway. On the other hand, I have some gloss film on my steel Fargo on the chainstay and downtube and it's all but invisible. I cut those myself also.

In the future I'll probably skip it except for small strips on the CS and DT.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whole frame is overkill IMO but I think its worth doing underside of down tube, chain area including bottom bracket, and anywhere a cable rubs. 3M clear vinyl is like $20/bike on amazon. DIY

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I use 3M shower tape. I have sold many many buddies on this, and they have all liked it. I am very hard on my bikes, but my last bike I rode for a year didn’t have a single scratch on it after i removed all the tape. It comes off easy, and it thicker than most clear wraps. It definitely has a texture and won’t look clear, but I don’t mind the matte look. Cheap too.

Proof of a scratch free frame:

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I wrapped mine in invisiframe this year since it was the first time I spent lots of $$ on a new frame. Not allll of the pieces but the main parts. We'll see how it holds up.
I just installed invisiframe two wknds ago. Took 2.5 hours. Didn’t disassemble the frame. So easy. Use plenty of soap spray.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I purchased an Invisframe kit for my Rallon and an Orbea rep came out to install it. I'm very pleased with how "invisi" it is, and we'll see over time how it holds up. But like stated in an above post, I spent too much on the bike to not do something to protect it. Frame (Large).jpg

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I protect my frames with invisiframe kits and install myself. Just need time and patience....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,171 Posts
Every scratch on my bike tells a story.

See this one here? This one time, at band camp...

·
Ride On!
996 Posts
Anyone tried Ride Wrap?? Been putting Lamin-x matte on my Ripmo, works great. It is however a big pain in the ass to get some of the pieces cut right (ie inside of chainstay in front of the wheel). Thining about using something cut for the bike.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Think it's totally worth it. the bike stays protected from scratches and wear, which is great for resale, but also great for keeping your bike looking good and protecting it from damage. It is also very satisfying to pull off the wrap and see how shiny and new the bike looks under the frame protection. Using a bike specific wrap will also ensure you don't end up with any glue or tape residue when you pull the tape off.

MTBr did a review of a number of frame protection products:
The Best MTB Frame Protection

Protecting the whole frame is a good way to guarantee you don't end up with funny lines where the tape stopped and the bare frame was exposed. You'll be surprised how micro scratches and swirls from wear turn a shiny bike to matte.

·
orthonormal
4,861 Posts
My most recent bike came with the downtube taped. 2021 Epic Evo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my bike done at Frame Up Bikes in Pleasant Hill. Think I paid ~$200 to do most of the frame. Very happy with the finished product, can hardly tell the wrap is there.
I live by that shop. Do you think it is worth it or will look okay if I wrap a used bike. Has some small scratches in it already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts