Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last week I put a deposit on a 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er at my local LBS. They didn't have the bike on hand, they had to order it "from the warehouse".

So tonight I go into the shop to see if it had come in, and it had. It was mostly built on the stand and I could pick it up tomorrow.

The first thing I did was to take a close look at the frame welds and, low and behold, it looks like there is a bead of the weld missing on the non drive side on top of the bottom bracket.

I don't have a camera phone so couldn't take a picture, but here is a picture I found on the net which highlights what I'm talking about. On my frame the missing bead is pretty darn obvious.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Chain Pipe

The shop was busy and closing in a few minutes so I didn't bring it up. But now it's bothering me and I'd appreciate any advice on how I should address the situation when I go in tomorrow.

Maybe the shop missed it during the build and will also have a WTF moment. I don't know. But I'm prepared for them to me it's fine, nothing is really affected and if it ever fails the warranty will replace it. I'm pretty sure it's not fine.

Should I refuse the frame? What would you do?

· Registered
10,297 Posts
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last week I put a deposit on a 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er at my local LBS. They didn't have the bike on hand, they had to order it "from the warehouse".

So tonight I go into the shop to see if it had come in, and it had. It was mostly built on the stand and I could pick it up tomorrow.

The first thing I did was to take a close look at the frame welds and, low and behold, it looks like there is a bead of the weld missing on the non drive side on top of the bottom bracket.

I don't have a camera phone so couldn't take a picture, but here is a picture I found on the net which highlights what I'm talking about. On my frame the missing bead is pretty darn obvious.

View attachment 884718

The shop was busy and closing in a few minutes so I didn't bring it up. But now it's bothering me and I'd appreciate any advice on how I should address the situation when I go in tomorrow.

Maybe the shop missed it during the build and will also have a WTF moment. I don't know. But I'm prepared for them to me it's fine, nothing is really affected and if it ever fails the warranty will replace it. I'm pretty sure it's not fine.

Should I refuse the frame? What would you do?
I would ask the shop.

Without seeing it myself (pictures) I will not say if I would accept the condition. If it is indeed a flaw/porosity in the weld I probably would not want it - at least not at full price (assuming you are paying MSRP).

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,666 Posts
Get your money back. Go to the phone store. Get a phone with a camera. Try again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.