Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last week I put a deposit on a 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er at my local LBS. They didn't have the bike on hand, they had to order it "from the warehouse".

So tonight I go into the shop to see if it had come in, and it had. It was mostly built on the stand and I could pick it up tomorrow.

The first thing I did was to take a close look at the frame welds and, low and behold, it looks like there is a bead of the weld missing on the non drive side on top of the bottom bracket.

I don't have a camera phone so couldn't take a picture, but here is a picture I found on the net which highlights what I'm talking about. On my frame the missing bead is pretty darn obvious.

marlin-6.jpg

The shop was busy and closing in a few minutes so I didn't bring it up. But now it's bothering me and I'd appreciate any advice on how I should address the situation when I go in tomorrow.

Maybe the shop missed it during the build and will also have a WTF moment. I don't know. But I'm prepared for them to me it's fine, nothing is really affected and if it ever fails the warranty will replace it. I'm pretty sure it's not fine.

Should I refuse the frame? What would you do?

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last week I put a deposit on a 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er at my local LBS. They didn't have the bike on hand, they had to order it "from the warehouse".

So tonight I go into the shop to see if it had come in, and it had. It was mostly built on the stand and I could pick it up tomorrow.

The first thing I did was to take a close look at the frame welds and, low and behold, it looks like there is a bead of the weld missing on the non drive side on top of the bottom bracket.

I don't have a camera phone so couldn't take a picture, but here is a picture I found on the net which highlights what I'm talking about. On my frame the missing bead is pretty darn obvious.

View attachment 884718

The shop was busy and closing in a few minutes so I didn't bring it up. But now it's bothering me and I'd appreciate any advice on how I should address the situation when I go in tomorrow.

Maybe the shop missed it during the build and will also have a WTF moment. I don't know. But I'm prepared for them to me it's fine, nothing is really affected and if it ever fails the warranty will replace it. I'm pretty sure it's not fine.

Should I refuse the frame? What would you do?
I would ask the shop.

Without seeing it myself (pictures) I will not say if I would accept the condition. If it is indeed a flaw/porosity in the weld I probably would not want it - at least not at full price (assuming you are paying MSRP).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,390 Posts
Get your money back. Go to the phone store. Get a phone with a camera. Try again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts