Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the search function...but nothing...
Does anyone know the weight of a VP free and a V10 frame (with DHX 5.0 coils)?

Also...
I'm 6 feet tall, and the SC site says medium for the Free and either med/large for the V10.
can you guys (and gals) share your height, which frame, and which size?

much thanks....

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know that a vp-free frame in medium w/out the shock is right at 7.75 lbs. I can't speak for a large in the vp-free or for the v-10, but from what I understand the v-10 is only a pound heavier then the vp-free. Contact santa Cruz, they are pretty good about getting weight results out to the public

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's the problem

stylie said:
I am 5'10" and the med vp-free feels perfect for me. Is there a dealer in your area available to let you try out different frames and frame sizes?
My LBS is not a dealer.
The one dealer a few towns over only orders special.
He has fees occasionally but is out now.
V-10 only by order.

What length stem are you running on the medium?

·
Registered
141 Posts
freeriderB said:
I used the search function...but nothing...
Does anyone know the weight of a VP free and a V10 frame (with DHX 5.0 coils)?

Also...
I'm 6 feet tall, and the SC site says medium for the Free and either med/large for the V10.
can you guys (and gals) share your height, which frame, and which size?

much thanks....
I have a VP Free and the frame is 9lbs w the coilover. And im 6' and love the med!

AND ITS FOR SALE !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,

i have a Vp-Free Frame Size Medium. Its weight with (very very very .... poor) powdercoat finish is 3646,8g and the dhx5 weights 829,8g with 400lbsx2.80 spring.
I'm 6'' too and it doesn't feel crampy at all. It's a pretty big bike compared to my medium chameleon which i'm used to ride cross country with.

Condor

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not cramped at all, even riding uphill !?! 53 mm stem. Keep in mind this bike is no trail bike, believe me I tried to do it. It rips trails, but it's no fun going up. The free or bullit will serve you much better for an all arounder. I have a bullit and use it for dh to fr to xc. I debated between the free and V10, but since I have a 2 ring setup on the bullit, I went for the V10. For dh, the V10 is unreal. I guess your choice depends on what trails you want to ride. Also, the V10 and free have different geometries. What do you want your bike to do?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
med free

rokhound said:
I have a VP Free and the frame is 9lbs w the coilover. And im 6' and love the med!
thanks for the feedback...
It seems that a few of you 6 footers ride the medium with no problems.
This is what I am leaning towards.

If I can find a shop with a V10, I will gladly sit on one to see if it fits. I'm sure if I sit on one in person I will want it!

For those who are asking what I want to do:
This bike will be replacing my Gemini. I will use it 95% of the time DH'ing at Mountain Creek (Diablo).

I can also ride the trails locally if I had to.

If I choose the V-10, the bike obviously is DH only...and will sit in the basement when hitting local trails.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you ride a Gemini now you might want to test ride a Free before going for the V10, To me the Gemini feels like an XC bike compared to the Free. I'm not kocking the gemini i really like the bike but a free will feel way more dh like.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
At 5'-11", I have a short 50mm stem and a large VP-Free.

Test rode a V-10 and I really liked the medium frame.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
I'm around 5'10 (closer to 5'11) and owned both the VP-Free and V10, both in medium. SC bikes size quite large in my opinion, and I wouldnt even consider a large in either of these bikes unless I was 6'2+. I never felt cramped on either medium, and i feel confident saying my opinion wouldn't change if I was your height either. I loved my V10 as a race bike, and my VP-Free as a climb-and-descend bike. You can immediately feel which one is the purebred racebike, but the Free can certainly hold its own to a certain point! My VP-Free is up for sale (Ano slate, R-FR kit, new Totem 2-step) due to a new sponsorship, so if your interest in a good price and pictures for a mint bike then shoot me a pm. :thumbsup: (Sorry for the spam!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.