Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
6lbs, 7.42, and 9.1lbs according to weight weenies.

TracerJohn said:
Anyone know the frame weighs (size medium) of;
Blur LT
Heckler
Bullit
Looking to build an agressive XC bike that can do some 5 footers to tranny.
The medium Heckler with a steel spring on the 5th element is around 7.42lbs. The Bullit is 9.1lbs with the 5th. The Blur LT should be right around 6lbs.

The Heckler is the best match, bridging the gap between the Blur and Bullit. ie 5.7" of travel compared to 7" for the Bullit and around 5.3" for the LT.

The Blur Lt would not hold up to repeated drops in the 5ft range and the Heckler is a better climber than the Bullit and can go like hell on the dh.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
ronny said:
The medium Heckler with a steel spring on the 5th element is around 7.42lbs. The Bullit is 9.1lbs with the 5th. The Blur LT should be right around 6lbs.

The Heckler is the best match, bridging the gap between the Blur and Bullit. ie 5.7" of travel compared to 7" for the Bullit and around 5.3" for the LT.

The Blur Lt would not hold up to repeated drops in the 5ft range and the Heckler is a better climber than the Bullit and can go like hell on the dh.
The BLT is approved for a 6" fork making it MORE than enough bike for a 5 footer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heckler Weight + Large + Ano + DHX

I was unable to find an accurate weight via mtbr, SC customer services, or weightwheenies pre purchase. Out of the box my 05 Heckler (Large, Ano, DHX) weighed 3,520 grams or 7.76 lbs.

Cheers,

Graeson

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
The BLT is approved for a 6" fork making it MORE than enough bike for a 5 footer.
The Blur Lt is advertised as a trail bike. Increased travel is not always indicitave of frame strength. The stays are beefier on the Lt but I would be wary about hucking it off of 5ft drops. The increased travel on the Blur Lt is a function of plushness for trail riding and not 5 foot drops imo. A 5 foot drop is higher than most riders think.

Remember the frame weight is still around 6lbs, which is the same as the original Blur. The Heckler weighs 7+ lbs, so that should tell you something. Look at the Head tube enforcements on the Heckler compared to the Lt.

The increased weight on the Heckler goes towards enforcing the frame. Also, just because the Lt can take up to a 150 mm fork does not mean that the FRAME is up to taking 5 foot hucks on a regular basis.

The DC Maverick is a 6" fork that is not designed to be hucked. The 6" Zoke AM1 is another example.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
ronny said:
The Blur Lt is advertised as a trail bike. Increased travel is not always indicitave of frame strength. The stays are beefier on the Lt but I would be wary about hucking it off of 5ft drops. The increased travel on the Blur Lt is a function of plushness for trail riding and not 5 foot drops imo. A 5 foot drop is higher than most riders think.

Remember the frame weight is still around 6lbs, which is the same as the original Blur. The Heckler weighs 7+ lbs, so that should tell you something. Look at the Head tube enforcements on the Heckler compared to the Lt.

The increased weight on the Heckler goes towards enforcing the frame. Also, just because the Lt can take up to a 150 mm fork does not mean that the FRAME is up to taking 5 foot hucks on a regular basis.

The DC Maverick is a 6" fork that is not designed to be hucked. The 6" Zoke AM1 is another example.
You obviously haven't read the Santa Cruz design mission statement, which declares that all travel measurements in inches can be directly converted to approved drop size in feet. In other words....

5.3" travel = 5' 3" drops

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
You obviously haven't read the Santa Cruz design mission statement, which declares that all travel measurements in inches can be directly applied to approved drop size in feet. In other words....

5.3" travel = 5' 3" drops
Damn. That's what's wrong with my chameleon...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Give me a break.

That is funny. Keep it coming. Travel is not a measurement of strength. I have seen pics of guys going 10ft plus on the Transition Preston when it was a 4" travel bike. The same goes for the Blur 4X which is a 4.5" travel bike. These bikes can go big because the frames are strong and over built. So what you are saying is the 4X can only be hucked 4.5 ft because that is how much travel it gets? I hope you are kidding.

Good advice. Okay, everyone with a Blur Lt should start doing 5ft hucks on a regular basis because it has 5.3" of travel. Gotcha.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Pfft, thats funny "Chameleon no travel = no hucking", I think its pretty obvious that you'd be better off going with the Heckler, just by looking at the design you can tell its more suited to your needs, whats a pound or so compared to peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
No hucks.

CHUNKY NUGGET said:
Pfft, thats funny "Chameleon no travel = no hucking", I think its pretty obvious that you'd be better off going with the Heckler, just by looking at the design you can tell its more suited to your needs, whats a pound or so compared to peace of mind.
I think Blue Shorts is just goofing around a bit. At least I hope so. I am sure the Blur Lt can hold up to a 4-5ft huck once in a while but that is not what it was designed for and this is what I was trying to point out.

You are right in saying that the Heckler is the best bet. Peace of mind goes a long ways.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I own both a superlight (I think slightly lighter than a blur) and a bullit and here's my experiences with them:

if the trail involves a climb anywhere near 1500' or greater the bullit stays in the garage

for DH, urban, jumping off loading docks the bullit without question.

I can't bring myself to lug 37 odd #'s of bike up 2000' verticals for short little XC runs.

However, hucking off stairs or for the infrequent chair-lift ride, bullit please.

Also I have noticed that my superlight I can go pretty nuts with. It doesn't have the plush stable landing I feel with the bullit but it is not out of it's element even on a 6' loading dock near where I work (I regularly chuck my bikes off it even an old school zero suspension mtbike POS).

All I'm saying is you will probably prefer the lighter bike, and all the other nice'ities of the blur like the revised rear suspension compared to the heckler.

sorry I can't help with weights. my superlight has a 100mm SID up front and a fox RL out back, on commuter 1.95s it weighs about 24.5#, my bullit in DH trim (2.5/2.3 tires) weighs 37#'s with a 150mm Z1 up front and a 5th element steel spring.
I'm in decent shape but for some reason the Bullit is sitting in the garage more often than not on an XC ride. And I end up using the superlight for commuter duty too (even though it's mostly flat). enough rambling. :D

·
mtbr member
167 Posts
SuperLight Huckster

Interestingly, no one has commented on rider weight here (or if they did, I missed it). A 200 pound rider better have a DH bike for a 6' plunge whereas a 100 pound rider could easily get away with a well built trail bike for the same drop. ( F=MA ; Acceleration is the same in both cases so the change in Force is directly proportional to the change in Mass).

Hucking a SuperLight with a SID up front off a 6' loading dock does sound to me like a potential mismatch for the equipment. Unless you're on the lighter side of the scale, I'd make sure you're medical insurance is paid up and covers steer tube impalement before pulling that move on a regular basis.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not that it was designed for it but I have seen guys go off of loading docks on C'dale Scalpels. But I wouldn't recomend it. I have a blur and a heckler and find the heckler way better for the bigger stuf because go figure that's what it is made for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.