Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
KMAD57 said:
Hey guys i keep hearing from different prople about C-Dale doing frame trades. Not warrenty but actual trades to different year and types. How does this work? Thanks
You bring in any cannondale to a dealer, and they will give you the equivalant of about 20% off. Great if it's an old CAAD1 that's beat, but not broken, not so great if it's last years Scalpel=:) Good luck!

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
How does the fork upgrade work? The guy at my LBS told me it would cost about $8-900 to upgrade my Lefty. That didn't seem right to me, a little on the spendy side!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
They are spendy.

It depends on the fork. Cannondale does have a trade in program for frames, as well as forks, but not together.

Like Mendon says, if you have a CAAD1 with a Pepperoni fork, it may be a good deal. You would need to have a box full of high end parts ready, otherwise, you are better off buying a complete bike with the frame and fork you want, even if you are parting it out.

The Lefty models range from $700-900 with the trade in, and that does not include the hub.

It is like Cannondale is willing to do a trade up program, but they price most right in to buying a complete ride.

·
16,470 Posts
kevhogaz said:
How does the fork upgrade work? The guy at my LBS told me it would cost about $8-900 to upgrade my Lefty. That didn't seem right to me, a little on the spendy side!
Considering that the Lefty Carbon 140 SPV Evolve with TM (say that 5 times fast!) is about $1300, it really depends on which fork you are looking at, to say that its expensive=:)

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
I don't see the point in spending all that money on another Lefty, when I could get any number of "regular' forks, for hundreds less! I have a mortgage, car payments, etc., to pay. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
kevhogaz said:
I don't see the point in spending all that money on another Lefty, when I could get any number of "regular' forks, for hundreds less! I have a mortgage, car payments, etc., to pay. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
I imagine people who buy $100-$200 bikes would look at as the same way ;)
CDT

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
CdaleTony said:
I imagine people who buy $100-$200 bikes would look at as the same way ;)
CDT
I suppose they would, but I paid $1600 for my Prophet, and can't see spending another $8-900 for basically the same fork I already have. Cannondale should make it a little more affordable for their loyal customers to upgrade components/frames.

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Oh, but they do! You can upgrade many internal components to get what you want. That's the beauty of the Lefty, the shells are all the same, (except Alloy versus Carbon) you just have less expensive/technically complex internals on the less forks. Keep what you have, buy up to TPC, SPV, travel management etc. Happy trails.
I'm going down to the shop, where I bought my bike, after a ride tomorrow to do just that. If I can upgrade for ~$2-300, then I'm gonna be one happy Prophet rider!

·
16,470 Posts
kevhogaz said:
I suppose they would, but I paid $1600 for my Prophet, and can't see spending another $8-900 for basically the same fork I already have. Cannondale should make it a little more affordable for their loyal customers to upgrade components/frames.
Oh, but they do! You can upgrade many internal components to get what you want. That's the beauty of the Lefty, the shells are all the same, (except Alloy versus Carbon) you just have less expensive/technically complex internals on the less forks. Keep what you have, buy up to TPC, SPV, travel management etc. Happy trails.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You can.

kevhogaz said:
I'm going down to the shop, where I bought my bike, after a ride tomorrow to do just that. If I can upgrade for ~$2-300, then I'm gonna be one happy Prophet rider!
Do a TPC upgrade on your Lefty.

If you are talking about doing a trade in from your existing Lefty to say, a carbon model, they do that too. It will be more than $300 though.

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
kevhogaz said:
IS it "basically" the same fork? I dont think it is...Is it the same fork that is spec'ed on a freakin $4000 Prophet? :rolleyes:

Dam car guys do the same thing...I got a 4.3 V8 in my $20k car and all I want is to upgrade the internals to the "same V8" that is in the new ($70k) LS6 Corvette....Bastards ;)
CHEVY should make it more....etc etc
CDT

·
16,470 Posts
CdaleTony said:
IS it "basically" the same fork? I dont think it is...Is it the same fork that is spec'ed on a freakin $4000 Prophet? :rolleyes:

Dam car guys do the same thing...I got a 4.3 V8 in my $20k car and all I want is to upgrade the internals to the "same V8" that is in the new ($70k) LS6 Corvette....Bastards ;)
CHEVY should make it more....etc etc
CDT
I'm sensing a whole lot of tongue in your cheek here, but if it's an actual question, besides a $4000 being carbon, yeah all the outer stuff's the same, just damping components change. If you know this already, then pardon my intrusion =:)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I believe that the Cannondale frame trade-in program is not loyalty based, meaning that you can bring in any bike frame towards the purchase of a new Cannondale frameset. You can find an old rusted frame behind a dumpster somewhere and it will have the same trade-in value of a Cannondale CAAD1, 2, 3, 4. That's how it worked in the past and I assume this is still the case.

I could never fathom trading in a Cannondale for another. One of the main draws to Cannondale for me is the rock solid lifetime warranty. That means a hardtail frame for life. Why would I want a new one? If the current one breaks, they will give me a new one for free! Matter of fact they have given me a new warrantied frame 5 times in the past 10 years. Cannot beat that anywhere. Can't do it. No other bike company stands behind their product like Cannondale.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Not any more.

apacherider said:
I believe that the Cannondale frame trade-in program is not loyalty based, meaning that you can bring in any bike frame towards the purchase of a new Cannondale frameset. You can find an old rusted frame behind a dumpster somewhere and it will have the same trade-in value of a Cannondale CAAD1, 2, 3, 4. That's how it worked in the past and I assume this is still the case.

I could never fathom trading in a Cannondale for another. One of the main draws to Cannondale for me is the rock solid lifetime warranty. That means a hardtail frame for life. Why would I want a new one? If the current one breaks, they will give me a new one for free! Matter of fact they have given me a new warrantied frame 5 times in the past 10 years. Cannot beat that anywhere. Can't do it. No other bike company stands behind their product like Cannondale.
The "Any Frame" program lasted a couple of years, but as of now only a Cannondale frame works for a trade up. You must be the original owner, and any frame trade up is spendy.

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
I'm sensing a whole lot of tongue in your cheek here, but if it's an actual question, besides a $4000 being carbon, yeah all the outer stuff's the same, just damping components change. If you know this already, then pardon my intrusion =:)
Sorry
I meant that his Lefty max isnt the same fork on a top of the line Prophet, and like you had said theres alot going on in there. kinda sorta like my V8 analogy...

My basic point was a $1600 Prophet is $1600 because it lacks the $1300 fork.....

But best of all you get that same frame, and the Lefty max is no slouch...I looked at the P600 as a good starting point...so far I am unworthy of this machine
CDT

·
16,470 Posts
CdaleTony said:
Sorry
I meant that his Lefty max isnt the same fork on a top of the line Prophet, and like you had said theres alot going on in there. kinda sorta like my V8 analogy...

My basic point was a $1600 Prophet is $1600 because it lacks the $1300 fork.....

But best of all you get that same frame, and the Lefty max is no slouch...I looked at the P600 as a good starting point...so far I am unworthy of this machine
CDT
Oh, we're all worthy, it's just convincing whoever controls our cash flow, that we are! =;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.