The Offroad Fit
-------------------------------------------
Hardtail Standover Height: 29.4 - 30.1 inches
Full Suspension Standover Height: 30.4 - 31.1 inches
Virtual Top Tube: 23.2 - 23.6 inches
Stem Length: 11.5 - 12.1 cm
BB-Saddle Position: 74.1 - 76.1 cm
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.4 - 55.0 cm

According the Geometry charts for the alpine, I should be getting a 17 inch b/c of standover height? But according to the Virtual top tube, I should be getting a 19 inch frame.

Im 5'8' ish right now, and will probably grow 1-2 inches by the end of high school.

Is the 17 inch frame good for people 5'10? Or smarter just to get a 19 inch?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 5'8" and after talking with jack when with the 16" Asta. I'm very glad i did because if i went larger i would have been in trouble.

My inseam was 30.5-31.5" because i never measured the same thing.

More important to me was stand over height. I took a look at the ibex geometry then went by the LBS and sat on some of their bikes that had similar measurements. (ya ya i knew i was getting an ibex, but i had to make sure i was getting right size, besides they still get my business). I didn't want to slide off the seat and end up less of a man.

A small bike will give you tighter turns, lighter weight, and some other benefits. There is a thread over in the beginners corner all about small bikes vs large bikes.

I would probably go with the 17" frame myself as i sat on an 19" and it felt huge. and i don't think you will out grow a 17" bike by getting up to 5'10".

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is top tube like how my arm fits? If the standover is 30.9 inches, what does that mean.

Does it mean the top tube is like 30.9 inches off the ground, and my balls are 1.1 inches above it?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think the 17 inch might be good for me.. local shop had a 17.5 trek 6500
It's geometry is very similar to the 17 inch alpine
M 17.5" 22.2 top tube, 29.2 standover, 71 deg headtube 73 deg seat tube, slightly longer wheel base and slightly shorter chainstays.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
taikuodo said:
So is top tube like how my arm fits? If the standover is 30.9 inches, what does that mean.
Does it mean the top tube is like 30.9 inches off the ground, and my balls are 1.1 inches above it?
taikuodo,
I'm 5'10" and shrinking, my ALP is a 17"........You and your :yikes: will be happy campers :thumbsup:

taikuodo said:
i think the 17 inch might be good for me...
Did you decide on the 550 ?

Jake :ihih:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.