Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advise. I currently have a 2007 rockhopper 19' which is to longer reach and unconfortable to ride any distance. I am looking to upgrade to a giant XTC 1 29er but am having trouble with sizing. Bike shop states a 17.5 will be fine and have ridden one in the shop but still a relative long reach only 20mm less than rockhopper. I am leaning towards a 15.5 but if its to small im stuck with it.(its horizontal bar is 45mm less than the rockhopper)
rockhopper horizonal bar 615mm
XTC 15.5 horizontal bar 570 mm
xtc 17.5 horizontal bar 595mm

Im 170cm (5' 7) and have a inseam of 31".Am i better to have a bike to big or too small. I dont want to be stuck with a bike that not confortable.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Several frames are coming with sloping down tubes that require more expossed post than in the past. A carbon or Ti post thats expossed more also allows the post to flex a little more and dampen the ride slightly on a HT.

As stated in your other thread. ETT (D in diagram above) is more important than standover.

Disclosure: Im a featherweight rider. I could see where clydes and the big boys might not want that much expossed carbon beneath them.:skep:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rockon6160 said:
Well you shouldnt need a high seatpost and long stem with a properly sized frame.
Unless the frame is designed to use a long seatpost and long stem.

I really dislike the way a bike handles with a short stem. Tough to get the front end to stick in the corners.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ducatiss750 said:
Looking for advise. I currently have a 2007 rockhopper 19' which is to longer reach and unconfortable to ride any distance. I am looking to upgrade to a giant XTC 1 29er but am having trouble with sizing. Bike shop states a 17.5 will be fine and have ridden one in the shop but still a relative long reach only 20mm less than rockhopper. I am leaning towards a 15.5 but if its to small im stuck with it.(its horizontal bar is 45mm less than the rockhopper)
rockhopper horizonal bar 615mm
XTC 15.5 horizontal bar 570 mm
xtc 17.5 horizontal bar 595mm

Im 170cm (5' 7) and have a inseam of 31".Am i better to have a bike to big or too small. I dont want to be stuck with a bike that not confortable.

Thanks
Get the smallest bike you feel comfortable on.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
rockon6160 said:
Well you shouldnt need a high seatpost and long stem with a properly sized frame.
Unless you have exceptionally long arms and legs with an exceptionally short torso, like me. Custom would be good, but out of the question, so smaller bikes with correct size top tube means high seat post for me. I can control stem length by choosing the right top tube, but rise can get tricky.

Most buyers have no conception of how their physical proportions affect bike choice, even after years of riding. They are more worried about "looks right" than "fits right"..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts