·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It's too small

First off, welcome to the forums, YBM. My best guess is that a 17" frame will be too small. I'm 5'9" with short legs and I ride a bike that has a 17" frame. Granted there will be slight variances between manufacturers, but at your height i can't imagine a 17" being anywhere close to a proper fit.

Good luck in finding the right size frame, I'm sure it's out there.

bob

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
17 inches is huge, I'm 6'2" and I ride a 14" hardtail, and my freeride hardtail is a 15.5 my bighit is like 15.5 as well, depends on your riding style, if you are going to do cross country, get something like a 19 inch bike, my XC hardtail is a 19.5 but I regret getting it I guess.

17 should be perfict

·
Registered
150 Posts
I say it's too small for trailriding for someone who is 6'2", and not built for freeriding or jumping. I'm 5'6" and ride a 17" hardtail and a 15.5" FS. I understand what these guys are saying about freeride and smaller bikes, but truth be told, this bike won't hold up to freeriding. RST fork, no-name rear shock, Altus 7-speed components, no-name wheels.... not really built for taking hits, especially for a guy as big as you (6'2").

You should try to find a bike stocked from a bike shop so that the shop can get you on the right size and the right bike for your riding style. Plus, the service, tuneups, adjustments, etc. from the bike shop may come in handy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sizes

YoBeardMaestro said:
I'm interested in purchasing one of the new 2006 Saracen Raw models (probably Raw2, http://www.saracencycles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=124), but the frame sizes are only 15"/17" - which is quite small compared to other models. I'm 6'2" with average build - is the 17" frame likely to be too small for me?

Thanks,

YoBeardMaestro
Bike sizes are like shoe sizes. Hard to compare one manufactuer to another. Top tube length could have a big impact on if the bike fits or not. You really need to be able to sit on the bike.

Brian

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I'd be concerned that

all the parts are at, or below, entry level. This is dept store type stuff, and it probably isn't worth looking seriously at. Suntour fork and RST stuff and "no name" mechanical disk brakes all point to a very bottom of the line bike made to "look good" but this thing will not perform. Simple as that.

Stick to brand names that you see in magazines. You'll save yourself lots of heartache.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses...

...I've since thought a little more about the sort of riding I want to do (commuting to work and also casual off-road riding at the weekends), and I think it comes under the category of trailriding. From your responses it sounds like I'm really looking for a hard-tail. I'll take a look at such offerings from Saracen, Carrera, Kona and GT (as they are the models that were on the shelves at Halfords in the UK). Are there any other brands / models you would recommend for trailriding?

Incidentally, I sat on the 17" Saracen Raw2 at Halfords, and it felt like it would be the right size if the saddle and handlebars were raised to the correct height. Yes, the full suspension did feel rather bouncy, but I guess I had initally gone for a full suspension bike thinking that they were automatically better. Almost everyone I have spoken to / heard from has suggested otherwise.

Regards,

YBM

·
EDR
10,425 Posts
YoBeardMaestro said:
Yes, the full suspension did feel rather bouncy, but I guess I had initally gone for a full suspension bike thinking that they were automatically better. Almost everyone I have spoken to / heard from has suggested otherwise.

Regards,

YBM
"Better" is completely subjective. A $500 hardtail will probalby have better components and drivetrain stuff than a $500 full susp bike. The FS bike will have a bottom end shock and all around inferior parts to get it into that price range. In this case the hardtail would be a "better" bike than the FS.

I think the rest depends on what you want the bike to do. In your case a hardtail sounds like the bike you need, however, that doesn't mean that a quality FS bike would be a bad choice either. It can cetainly handle commutes and light trail rides and if your riding should continue to progress to xc trailriding and whatnot then you can grow into the FS bike. It really starts to depend on price vs. needs.

I would certainly say that from your described needs that money spent on a lower end FS bike would be a waste of money and provide a less quality bike than a comparable hardtail. - Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.