Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Not sure what the general range would be for a 14-inch bike. I do recall though, that my then-eight-year-old son surprised me a few years ago by fitting one perfectly. That doesn't do much to answer your question though.

Why do you ask? Are you looking at a specific bike? Have you been able to test ride it at all? Do you feel comfortable on it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for replying to my post. To be honest, someone is selling a K2 ZED bike and won't be able to try it out until the weekend but I thought I'd research a little since I'm all to new at this. I also ask since I'm 5' 5" and wanted to make sure it wasn't for someone shorter.

·
Catholic MTBR
159 Posts
I did a quick google search and found this for the K2 ZED:

"Small Frame size 14" to 15" for riders 5'3" to 5'6""

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Loudnoize, you're probably in the "zone of reasonableness" for the 14-inch frame size. That said, most people can fit a range of sizes. A lot comes down to preference.

For example, there's a small, social trail in the woods near my house that I can navigate much easier on my 17" bike with 26-inch tires than on my 18" bike with 29er tires. However, the larger frame and bike work much better for me when I'm covering long distances by road, or on two-track.

If you had access to a K2 ZED in the next size up, one thing you would notice would be that the handlebars would be higher relative to the seat. You'll be leaned over more on the smaller bike, when you raise the seat to a good height for riding.

My best advice is to try the bike and see how you like it. If you can take it for one two, full-blown trail rides, then so much the better.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
I'm 5ft (on a very very good day) and ride typical 14-15.5" frames.

That side "size" as advertised by the seat tube measurement is actually a fairly poor indicator of how well a bike is going to fit you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Fellas,

Thank you for your response and good advice. I'll be able to give it a go by the weekend and looking forward to it. Boy this is really addictive! :)

Cheers..

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife is 5'7" and she rides a 16" bike but as I learned through my experiences and with the help of everyone on the forum, no bike will fit the exact same, although they should be roughly close to one another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts