Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have the option to pick up a 17" Dakar XLT(from an old friend) for a very decent price, the only problem is i am just shy of 6ft tall. I have been riding an 18" Trek for awhile now and have never felt that it was small, and i am afraid to upgrade to a smaller bike, but i do know that frame sizes vary by manufacturer and am wondering(in the opinions of Jamis owners) if this frame may be a little small for me or if it is a decent size. Oh yeah, i would try it out, but my friend is a couple of hours away from me, and i have done a search of the forums, with no real luck. So thank you for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am 5' 10" and I ride a 19" Dakar XLT with a 105mm stem and I think this bike fits me great. I think the top tube difference is only about 3/4" from medium to large but with everything else being smaller I am not sure you will be comfortable with the ride. Of course it is a matter of preference. You could get a longer stem to get some extra length but then you are having to do a lot to get the bike to fit you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I measured out the TT and the lengths are almost identical, the thing that questions me is that the TT meets the seat tube 3" lower than my Trek, so is that much standover a bad thing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would say it is too small. I am 5'11 and have a 19". It is a perfect fit. I had a 17" Dragon and was too small. Check out my setup in the "show us your Jamis" thread. It is the last post.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Bartman said:
I would say it is too small. I am 5'11 and have a 19". It is a perfect fit. I had a 17" Dragon and was too small. Check out my setup in the "show us your Jamis" thread. It is the last post.
The XLT is a shorter bike. It has an aggressive stature. I'm 6'1-3/4" and I rode a 19" XLT with a 90mm x 0' stem. It fit as designed for aggressive riding. It won't feel like an XC bike. If you're used to an XC bike, it may feel cramped a bit, but it's easy to get attached to when you're hopping logs on it!!

I ride a 19" Komodo (2004 frame) now and it's actually a bit longer than the XLT. Either way, you need to give yourself room to move around on that thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's really your preference of the size of bike you like to ride...smaller or larger. I like riding smaller bikes. What's your inseam length? If you're doing technical single track you'll want a smaller bike for those technical sections. Everything I've read says you should have 2-4 inches of standover height (some say closer to four). I'm 5'11'' and just bought a 17'' Jamis Dragon Comp with a 29 inch top tube which gives me a three inch standover height (I have a 32 inch inseam). But I also want the smallest bike I can get so it's more agile. Frame size doesn't matter so much as the length of the seat to the handle bars which you can adjust with a longer or shorter stem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.