Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me the benefit of their experience please . i just bought the coiler dee-lux ....way cool..... after reading a lot about which frame size to go for on this site i opted for the 17inch as opposed to the 15 inch ( 1 am 5ft 8 ) as i figured i would be doing more street riding than extreme mountain descents. however i have read you should have up to 3 inch of space between the old chap and the frame but i am practically sitting on it. Looking at the spec difference between the 17 and the 15 frame it seems that the only size diffs are the top tube is 1 inch shorter in lenght and the standover is 0.5 inch shorter 32.7 to 32.2 so does this mean even the smallest frame would only give .5 inch of clearance ??? i am not a dwarf and dont have stumpy legs so is this just down to the style of the bike ? the shop said its fine but they would as they only had a 17inch frame..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
This might not be very useful but hopefully provides some reassurance….

My bro’ and I are around your height (5’ 8.5”/9”) and we both ride 15” Stinkies (smallest size available) with almost no clearance whatsoever … While admittedly the Stinkies have higher stand-overs than the Coilers, unless Kona’s aiming only for the Shaq/Yao Ming and Daddy Long legs market niche, I wouldn’t be overly worried if I were you…

·
Registered
666 Posts
That suggestion only makes sense really on non-suspended bikes. You have to have a high bottom bracket (and taller bike over all) 'cause it's all going to get lower when the suspension compresses (5" of travel remember). If you feel comfortable with the length of top tube you have now (not reaching and not cramped), the I wouldn't sweat the standover. I'm 6' on an 18" Stinky and have only about 1 to 1.5" of clearance standing flat footed with my butt up against the seat.

·
Having a nice day!
1,421 Posts
Sizing on FS

Yeah, I have to laugh at most sizing charts or guides that say the standover is the most important determination. I am the same size as you, and from what I can tell, there is practically no FS bike out there that would let me have 3" clearance, and that doesn't even take into consideration the TT length!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts